Questioning AIDS

Go Back   Questioning AIDS > Discussion Forums > General Discussion of HIV/AIDS

Old January 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member (100+ posts)

gladalive is on a distinguished road
Default Can you Be Forcibly Admitted to Medical Hospital?

Hi everyone. I just spent the last half hour or so on the net googling whether or not you can be forcibly admitted to a medical hospital in the state of California in the USA. Could not find any sort of definitive answer. Of course, you can be forced into a psychiatric hospital, I know that. But if the doctors think you have a life threatening medical condition, can they actually MAKE YOU be admitted or accept any treatment that you do not desire? Also, can they make you stay in a hospital after admitting you if you want to leave?

This would be a really good thing for me figure out in case I ever have something wrong with me and just want to have some tests done but know that because of my HIV diagnosis the hospital might very well overreact and think I am dying and try to admit me ( even though I very well might not want to be admitted) and put me on a bunch of drugs that I do not want to take.

Well, if anyone has a definitive answer I would appreciate it very much.

Last edited by gladalive; January 10th, 2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:22 PM
New Member (< 10 posts)

otown2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can you Be Forcibly Admitted to Medical Hospital?

I've always wondered the same thing. I'm glad I'm healthy, but I try and avoid hospitals. If they suspect you're "pos" they'll put on they're aids glasses and all logic goes right out the window....and then you're screwed!

EXCELLENT POINT GLADALIVE.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:55 PM

truth84 is on a distinguished road

My understanding is you do have the right to refuse care if you are capable of consenting or not consenting. That means that if the fire trucks come to your house because you fell down with a minor heart attack, you could tell them you'll go to the doctor tomorrow morning vs. immediately leaving into their care. On the other hand, if you can't give consent because you are unconscious or unresponsive, then they can make that decision for you. However, this could be changing with ObamaCare. I hate to see the day where people are forced by government agents into their doctors' offices and then arrested if they don't take their medication. At least we still have some of our freedoms left. I do recommend avoiding going to the hospital unless absolutely necessary and when it is required, I strongly advise NOT mentioning HIV/AIDS.

These assumptions about whether or not they can require care may still vary from state to state. I can't speak for others here but I do know that for myself NOBODY will show up to my house, job, or anywhere else requiring by force for me to submit to any testing, treatment, or admittance into any medical facility without my consent (again if I am in a state where I am capable of giving or withdrawing consent). So if our future includes goons knocking on doors to require everyone to receive the H1N1 vaccine or face arrest then they are welcome to come into my home if they don't mind getting shot.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM

Otown,
Well, I am glad I am not the only one that has thought of the same thing and I am glad that you are healthy. Hopefully we can figure out the answer to my questions. It's a really good thing to know ahead of time.

A few weeks ago I was considering going to a hospital to find out the cause of some shortness of breath but hesitated because I figured they would automaticaly and erroneously jump to the conclusion that I have PCP which I did not at all think that I had. It still might have been nice just to have someone listen to my lungs and give me an xray even if they were incapable of a correct diagnosis, but I hesitated to even have this done as I did not know if they could forcibly admit me or in general force me to stay there if I wanted to leave. And could they force me to go through treatment I did not want to receive?

My family does not know I am HIV positive. If I were forcibly admitted for several days I am sure my family would find out about the "PCP diagnosis". My mother is 76 years old and has a lot of problems with anxiety. She is also a very traditional thinker. It would break her heart to find out about the HIV. I know she won't live forever and am hoping I can wait things out until she dies so she does not need to suffer thinking her youngest daughter has some horrible disease. That and she would totally make my life miserable by panicking over every little thing that goes wrong with me.

Any way, if push came to shove I guess my mom would just have to somehow try to deal with it and I would have to do my best to put up with her anxiety and judgement over it. It's just that it would break my heart. So, without a very good reason to go to a hospital and no answer yet to my questions about hospital regulations, I would much rather stay away from hospitals. I prefer to stay away from them, of course, in general.

Still looking for the answer...

Last edited by gladalive; January 10th, 2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: add info
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Hey Truth,
Just read your note. Well, thanks for your input. So, still nothing definitive yet. I am sure regulations do vary from state to state in the USA. I live in California.

I have also thought about just not telling them that I am HIV positive but am afraid they would figure it out pretty quickly any way because I imagine that a Kaiser Hospital would have some sort of link to the info in my medical records. I think...

I am not clear on if you showed up for a brief hospital visit if they would have enough time to figure it out. Yet another question...

Well, I am not going to worry about Obama Care until we find out how his whole health care plan will really play out. I figure it does not do a lot of good to worry at the moment, but it's possible we may have plenty to worry about in the future. Let's hope not.

If I ever find out that the medical industry could literally force me to take drugs I would seriously consider moving somewhere else, I guess even Europe if I had to. Let's hope this doesn't happen either.

Last edited by gladalive; January 10th, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Correction
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
New Member (< 10 posts)

otown2k is on a distinguished road

GLADALIVE
I am EXACTLY like you! That is so cool. No one knows I'm "positive" either, my family would FREAK! My parents are elderly too and don't need to added stress of knowing there youngest is "positive."
I'm afraid if I go, I'll be put in the isolation wing, and when friends come to visit they'll wonder why I'm in hat part of the hospital. It really is a mind fuck isn't it? I hope this movie HOUSE OF NUMBERS brings down the orthodoxy. I think the only way we'll ever find out is if we're in a car wreck and we have to go to the hospital.....heck of a way to find out.
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM

StarZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to StarZ

If you can move to Europe then let it be to start over, gridless! One nurse I spoke to said the only 'problem' patient they had regarding adherence had been refered to the local council who sent someone everyday to watch him take his tablets, even if where they track him down to is his local pub! I think you have to be a raving lunatic to be commited here, mostly because the bin is alll full up. The only sanity is to remain off the books by avoiding testing. Please share what you discover.
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:15 AM

truth84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarZ View Post
If you can move to Europe then let it be to start over, gridless! One nurse I spoke to said the only 'problem' patient they had regarding adherence had been refered to the local council who sent someone everyday to watch him take his tablets, even if where they track him down to is his local pub! I think you have to be a raving lunatic to be commited here, mostly because the bin is alll full up. The only sanity is to remain off the books by avoiding testing. Please share what you discover.
Was this in the U.S.? I am not a "tin-foil hat conspiracy nut" but at the same time often what I or we think is impossible can turn out to be very commonplace. While your typical tin-foil person believes that everywhere they go probes are implanted in their brains and government agents are watching their every move, those of us more reasonable folk should understand there is the potential and use of certain types of unscrupulous surveillance for potentially dubious purposes.

The example above is just that. In a "free country" a person reserves the right to choose what type of medical treatment they receive, how to adhere to it, and if they adhere to it at all. No reasonable woman would tolerate a man she doesn't want to see showing up to her house daily let alone following her to nightclubs. When government officials do this, it should be considered even more serious. While we shouldn't be execessively paranoid, we need to be aware of our surroundings as well as strongly aware of our legal and human rights.

I have no doubt that some of this type of surveillance goes on such as eyeing people in nightclubs and trying to track down HIV+ people's habits. It certainly isn't to the degree that conspiracy nuts would believe but a certain degree of it exists and if people tolerate any of it then it could get worse and more widespread. So I will say it again and again: be selective about who you tell information to and pay attention to your surroundings. Do not do like everyone else seems to do and put your entire life on Facebook for the entire world to see. The first step to using your rights is to know your rights. While I am HIV-, I have slept with HIV+ people but catch this: I don't use my real name here and don't reveal enough personal information that someone from the outside or inside could connect the dots. For those here who are HIV+, again I would seriously start changing doctors or stop seeing them except when absolutely necessary and stop mentioning HIV. The Founding Fathers of the United States didn't trust government and neither should we. Good luck.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM

No that was not the US. It was London, UK. Home of the Magna Carta! The patient in question was an alcoholic so it was just a matter of declaring him unfit to do the best for himself for that reason alone. I think if you are 'functioning' well adjusted then it would be hard for you to get this much help to take your meds.
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM

When I said gridless I meant off the AIDS map, not off the World map! ...