Thread: Carl Stryg no longer with us

Default Carl Stryg no longer with us

Some members here no doubt knew, or knew of Carl Stryg.

Carl passed away yesterday, May 10, a little after 7 pm, in Toronto, Ontario Canada. Carl experienced several months of severe health issues before being hospitalized in an intensive care unit. There are no more specific details to publish right now, but I wanted to let any of his friends here know.

Carl was a long time AIDS dissident; a founding member of HEAL Toronto; and the author of several essays on AIDS and AIDS dissidence. Carl was a member of QA, but never posted here. He was one of my dearest online dissident friends, and his death leaves a huge void in my chest.

I contacted Carl's husband prior to announcing this news. Here is a portion of his response:

Carl specifically told me he did not want personal issues discussed on Facebook, when people said so and so died on Facebook, he would go into one of his famous rants... but I think a notice on a forum would not offend him. My only thought now is for Carl, not for my sensitivities, I probably would have posted it on FB, but he was so insistent. I have sent out emails and text messages to anyone i could find, but he had so many contacts out there, I am requesting people to forward the news in any way that would not have offended Carl.

Just to be clear, the doctors are not clear what he died of, or even if it was AIDS related. He did have KS for the last few months and had several new spots appear when he was in hospital, but a brochoscopy just 4 days ago did not show it in his lungs, so it is just as likely to have been the Bakers Lung or even an unrelated infection picked up in the garden or in Montreal (he became sick immediately after returning from 3 weeks in Montreal) - I can tell you that I personally saw a decline in his health over the last two years, which worried me, but he and I had an understanding about his point of view. so, in the short, I would not make surmises about what he ultimately died of, only that he is gone.

Sorry, it took me a long time to write all that, I'm having a very difficult day.
    Please respect Carl's wishes and refrain from sharing on Facebook, or other social media.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no facebook.jpg 
Views:	1265 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	255  

Default Re: Carl Stryg no longer with us

Thanks for the news, Jonathan.
    My condolences.

Default Re: Carl Stryg no longer with us

Ahhh, so that's who it was. I'm so sorry, especially to see one of the outstanding long-time dissidents go. Again, really sorry for your (and all of our, to some extent) loss.
    Linda

"Don't let us get sick, don't let us get old, don't let us get stupid, all right? Just make us be brave and make us play nice, and let us be together tonight." ~ Warren Zevon