Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ken Anderlini has died (ame-g3494)

Default Ken Anderlini has died (ame-g3494)

I am very sad to report that I heard from Ken Anderlini's sister that
    he had died. Over the past couple of years his health had declined
    rapidly with a strange neurological disease for which nobody could
    pinpoint the cause (except doctors who claimed it was HIV related, of
    course).

It was tragic for such an intelligent man to not only lose his
    ability to walk, but also his ability to read and use a computer to
    communicate.

I had the privilege of meeting Ken a couple of times in Vancouver
    resulting in some really stimulating conversations, as well as many
    email discussions. Others may have met him as co-moderator of (I
    believe) AIDS Myth Exposed.

I'll certainly miss him.

- David Crowe

I d wondered more than once where Ken had gone.  This news is heartbreaking.  Even though I never met him, I ll miss him too.

Thank you Ken Anderlini for your service in this life and may your next be as you wish it!
    I am very grateful to all the dissenters alive and dead without whom I would still be at the mercy of ignorance and death drugs.
    Sorry for your loss David

I don t know what to say.

David:

I would be interested in hearing about the symptoms of the neurological condition Ken had. It s a shame that nobody keeps track of these things, the way many old doctors did, because it could lead to actually addressing the underlying cause..

I m sad to know that he is dead....with his comments he help me and sure to many others too. Really a bad news.

I, too, would like to know the exact symptoms. I can shed some light because Ken and I emailed frequently while I was trying to help him figure the whole mess out. If I remember correctly, the early symptoms included walking with a staggering gait and vision problems. Many neurological disorders were ruled out by different tests. I will dig out my old emails and see if there is anything else pertinent. I have the feeling from his sister saying that he fought hard, but in the end had nothing left to fight with, that it was a long downward spiral.

I am honored to be able to call him friend (albeit long distance) and touched that he thought enough of me to mention me to his sister. It seems he probably lost more and more control as the disease progressed. Not a nice way to go. I will miss him very much. I hope he is finally at peace.

Linda

I get the impression that the doctors simply dismissed his problems and didn t run any tests.

I have been afraid to ask this, but was he taking potassium supplements? I have found out that even 100 mg of potassium supplements a day will make me quite ill and have similar symptoms.

It s unfortunate, but Ken is a perfect example of why the HIV thing is so destructive and impedes the search for true causes to someone s illness. If the doctors think you re problem is HIV then everything is seen through that lense and the doctors feel that their job is done so long as they put you on ARV s.

One of the most interesting programs on the Discovery Health Channel is called Mystery Diagnosis. The show cases of mysterious illnesses that go unexplained even after the patient has visited doctor after doctor. A theme throughout though is that these patients have ended up taking everything into their own hands, becoming their own best advocates. In many cases there were dramatic situations where these patients fired doctors to their faces; demanded 2nd or 3rd opinions in the face of doctors telling them their labs were fine, etc.

When I would watch this program, I would think that had many of these people been gay men an HIV test would have been the first thing pushed on them. If it had come back reactive then searches for their problems would have ended.

In one crazy case, a woman went through years of awful abdominal pain and weight gain. She went to multiple doctors who all thought she had some kind of infection and sent her home with antibiotics. In fact she made a joking note about being sent home yet again with antibiotics.

Well, it wasn t until she went into panic after the pain became so accute one day that she was rushed to the hospital. A doctor did some xrays and contacted an oncologist who found a large cancerous tumor in her uterous. They took her into emergency surgery and removed it. She was fine after that.

While we (and certainly I have) talked about the many risk factors (drug use, etc.) that have been common to many gay men, there are also those cases that seemed to defy explanation. Ken was one of these people. HIV simply complicated his medical care and maybe in the end his situation is the best one can find to exemplify why a person should never get tested for so-called HIV .

Chris

I too had problems with balance, and had sensitivity to light, rather than vision problems (unless you inlcude really annoying "floaters").  While it was diagnosed by a neurologist as "basilar migraine," none of the "medicines" did any good.  Turns out it was a problem with my blood pressure dropping when I stood up, so-called orthostatic hypotension.  When this happens, there is not enough oxygen being delivered to the brain, so you can develop all kinds of weird problems.  The stomach acid supplements were the key to the underlying problem, but then there were all kinds of diorders that developed afterwards, due to a lack of protein getting digested and absorbed.  Recently, however, I stopped taking the stomach acid because I would wake up feeling warm a couple of hours after falling asleep at night.  I figured I test to see if I was now getting too much stomach acid, and sure enough that must have been it.  Unfortunately, I doubt any doctor will know enough or take enough time with his/her patient to think through all the possibilities.  Thus, "HIV/AIDS," "Hep C," "chronic fatigue syndrome," etc. allow doctors to get patients in and out of the office quickly, and allow drug companies to make their profits.  Then there are the non-disease diseases - "you have high cholesterol," for example - a drug company dream come true !