PDA

View Full Version : Parotid cyst

StarZ
January 12th, 2011, 03:00 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19879006

Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010 Jan;74(1):89-92. Epub 2009 Oct 29.

Regression of both oral mucocele and parotid swellings, following antiretroviral therapy.
Syebele K.

Oral and Dental hospital, Department of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, University of Pretoria, PO Box 1266, Pretoria 0001, South Africa. kabunda.syebele@up.ac.za

Abstract
HIV-salivary gland associated disease is a well accepted concept in the HIV-related literature. Parotid swellings, especially in its cystic benign lymphoepithelial form, have been largely reported. Oral mucoceles (ranulas) were also associated with HIV in some publications. The exact nature of this link between mucoceles and HIV is still to be clarified. The mainstream treatment of most of parotid pathologies and oral mucoceles remains surgical approach. Strong evidences do, however, exist about lymphopithelial lesions of parotid glands that have been successfully treated with antiretroviral drugs. We present a case of intraoral mucocele, coexisting with bilateral parotid gland lymphoepithelial lesions, on a 2-year-old HIV-positive patient. Both parotid gland swellings and the sublingual mucocele have completely regressed following antiretroviral therapy. No surgical intervention was required. Conversely to benign lymphoepithelial lesions of parotid glands, **the regression of oral mucocele on HIV-positive patient, following antiretroviral drugs therapy appears to be a rare phenomenon.**

Dumbies!
I maintain the one I have is caused bythe hepB vax and booster and flu vax combo they hit me with. There maybe other regressions on ARVs out there, bless 'em for what it is worth

Aion
January 12th, 2011, 08:05 AM
How does the treatment of it in "HIV positive" individuals differ from the treatment of it in people who are not deemed infected with the HI virus ?

cdm
January 12th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Welcome back StarZ. I thought that you were around because a member had been using your avatar, and so I was perplexed it were you.
There has been a new interesting cure for this entity (mucocele), apart of surgcical excision. It is OK-432 that is used in several kinds of benign tumors of the neck and mouth
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20727698
This is a microbe of the mouth and pharynx usually, considered pathogen, namely streptococcus pyogenes, in which its major toxin, hemolysin, has been eliminated. The advantage of this purported cure is that it does not leave scars.
http://www.kumj.com.np/ftp/issue/19/312-317-AN-EFFECTVE-SCLEROSING-AGENT-FOR-THE-TREATMENT-OF-LYMPHANGIOMAS-OF-HEAD-AND-NECK.pdf
Personally I would let it be cured by itself.
And for those familiar with bioenergy, it seems to be a problem of Chakra 5 and chakra 3. A little energy in these chakras and I hope it would be eliminated by itself, without interventions.

StarZ
January 13th, 2011, 03:07 AM
Understatement

the cartel with anonymised data can analyse those testing positive according to risk groups etc esp since p31 is assocoated with only some HLAs and is precursor of pg160. A great deal can be found from poz data.

StarZ
January 13th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Why it tool so laong to manifect itself is beyond me
Although I did have throat issues all my life and gum issues 2 yrs before the vaccination during which I was on more antibiotics than a milk cow.

So what on earth is in OK-432?

The vaccine is the one treatment I did recieve from the clinic. Fancy that it usually happens in babies more than grown ups.

Chalk it up to suppressed science.

StarZ
January 13th, 2011, 04:38 AM
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18430261

Laryngoscope. 2009 Jan;119(1):107-15.
Efficacy and safety of OK-432 immunotherapy of lymphatic malformations.

Smith MC, Zimmerman MB, Burke DK, Bauman NM, Sato Y, Smith RJ; OK-432 Collaborative Study Group.
Collaborators (43)
Georgeson K, Haynes B, Joganic E, Magit A, Pransky S, Lee C, Pohlson E, Kelley P, Cryer MC, Cook S, Bauman N, Josephson G, Andrews T, Bryan S, Robie D, Manaligod J, Smith RJ, Burke D, Burrows P, Bostrom B, McDonough E, Bruegger D, Mortelliti A, Swarnkar A, Winchell K, Blei F, Milczuk H, Richardson M, Lowry L, Jacobs I, Edmonds J, Griffin S, Biavati M, Rollins N, Wassmuth Z, Derkay C, Coggsdale L, Manning S, Kerschner J, Lin R, McMurray S, McConnell K, Connor N.

Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA. richard-smith@uiowa.edu
Abstract

OBJECTIVES: To determine the efficacy and safety of the immunostimulant OK-432 (Picibanil) as a treatment option in the management of children with cervicofacial lymphatic malformations.

STUDY DESIGN: A prospective, randomized, multi-institutional phase II clinical trial at 27 U.S. academic medical centers.

METHODS: 182 patients with lymphatic malformations (LM) were enrolled between January 1998 and November 2004. Of the 151 patients with complete case report forms, 117 patients were randomized into immediate or delayed treatment groups; 34 patients were nonrandomized and assigned to the open-label group. Treatment consisted of a four-dose intralesional injection series of OK-432 at eight-week intervals. Patients randomized into the delayed treatment group served as observational controls for spontaneous regression. Response to therapy was measured radiographically by quantitating change in lesion size and graded as complete (90%-100%), substantial (60%-89%), intermediate (20%-59%), or none (<20%).

RESULTS: Of 117 patients randomized with intent-to-treat, 68% demonstrated a complete or substantial response to OK-432 immunotherapy. Response data for macrocystic LM were higher, with a complete or substantial response in 94% of patients; 63% of patients with mixed macrocystic-microcystic LM responded to treatment; no patients with microcystic LM responded to treatment. Spontaneous resolution occurred in less than 2% of patients. Median follow-up of 2.9 years demonstrated a 9% recurrence rate. Major adverse effects related to therapy occurred in 11 patients. As compared to historical surgical data on LM, OK-432 immunotherapy is more effective (P < .001) and has a lower morbidity (P < .001).

CONCLUSIONS: OK-432 immunotherapy is an effective, safe, and simple treatment option for the management of macrocystic cervicofacial LM.

TRIAL REGISTRATION: ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00010452.

Being HIV positive does restrict treatment options to the absurd.

StarZ
January 13th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Although it is a benign and self-limiting condition,
since it may be associated with underlying immune
deficiency, particularly with B cell defect, at least
serum Ig levels should be studied in patients with RP.

Tuba Turul
http://www.ijporlextra.com/article/PIIS1871404807000238/fulltext

is this significant in any way?

Ok-432 seems to be a new fangled anti-biotic!?
When they aspirated they checked for hairy cells only.

jonathan barnett
January 13th, 2011, 11:03 AM
StarZ: I'm just catching up with your posts here.

When did you get a parotid cyst? Was it below the jawline, or in the jaw joint?

Brume: I'm still reading the links you posted. I wonder if they deserve their own thread?

StarZ
January 14th, 2011, 03:14 AM
+4 yrs ago. It is self limiting.
I guess nore above than below, I dont have that neck to shoulder thing those little Nepalese boys have? Why?

Also the only thing babies and pregnant ladies have is that they all have Th2 switch, moms switch to it during pregnancy and the babies are born with it. I guess it is an indicator of failure to revert back to Th1 in moms and failure to develop Th1 in babies.

Which makes me wonder just how quickly one is supposed to get Th1, I thought it was by age 3. So that 2 month old in ZA who recovered after ARVs is the outlier.

Thanks guys. This has really clarified stuff.

I wish it to resolve on its own. The OK432 sounds interesting but still.

So how does noe get ones Th1 back?

jonathan barnett
January 14th, 2011, 11:13 AM
So how does noe get ones Th1 back?

That's a big question and I don't have a complete answer, but are you supplementing selenium and glutathione precursors: l-glutamine, NAC, and ALA? My understanding is that resolving glutathione deficiency is critically important, and unless you can afford to get it intravenously, the next best bet is to give your body all the components to make its own.

There is some very good information about glutathione's role in regulating the Th1/Th2 switch at the aliveandwell San Francisco site.

http://aliveandwellsf.org/kremer/book.html

http://www.aliveandwellsf.org/faq#glutathione

http://www.aliveandwellsf.org/faq#th1th2

cdm
January 15th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Ok-432 seems to be a new fangled anti-biotic!?

Probably.
But it is like more than an antibiotic. It is a microbe that destroys the "sick" tissues. They claim they have abrogated the most bad qualities of it and retained its useful "bad" qualities.:D
I guess it is something like botox.

StarZ
January 15th, 2011, 10:08 AM
hhhm! worth a try I guess cdm! I mean I am already considering leech therapy (not my idea).

Thanks a lot Jon, I could have poked around for ages and not found those links.

I have Kremer's tome, safe and still brand new on my shelf...

cdm
January 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I have Kremer's tome, safe and still brand new on my shelf...

I have it more than a year but I did not manage to read it all. I always seem to miss something else I ought to know. Very difficult as all great German scientists. I have the book Organon of Samuel Hahneman since more than 25 years ago but I have never managed to finish it, although so suggestive and wise.