PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been "positive"?

max280
October 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi all :) pls answer

Thank you :)

John Bleau
October 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Max,

I assume you're asking how long the various members here have been positive. Another, less likely, possibility is how old the members were when they were diagnosed positive.

Maybe you'd like to clarify.

max280
October 18th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Im sorry because my english is bad :( Yea my questiong is how long the various members here have been positive ?

Tony Lance
October 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Edited thread title in keeping with max280's clarification.

Gos
October 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
I received my first positive test results in January 1999 (the blood had been drawn in December 1998.)

At the time, my only possible risk to acquire HIV was from a guy who'd removed the condom and ejaculated on my buttocks in the summer of 1997. Because I never learned his HIV status, it is possible that he didn't have HIV in the first place, and because you're not supposed to be able to get HIV that way, it is highly improbable that I got it on that particular night. However, this is the closest thing to a "risk" that I had at the time I tested positive.

----

mwatti
October 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I received my first positive test results in January 1999 (the blood had been drawn in December 1998.)

At the time, my only possible risk to acquire HIV was from a guy who'd removed the condom and ejaculated on my buttocks in the summer of 1997. Because I never learned his HIV status, it is possible that he didn't have HIV in the first place, and because you're not supposed to be able to get HIV that way, it is highly improbable that I got it on that particular night. However, this is the closest thing to a "risk" that I had at the time I tested positive.

----

Very unlikely this could have given you the bug. Can you discount broken condom use in the past? Also oral sex is a risk, although I have read this is unlikely - but if you have had dental work done then oral sex can be a risk.

Gos
October 19th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Very unlikely this could have given you the bug. Can you discount broken condom use in the past?

I was extremely cautious in my condom use for the four years prior to my first poz test. I always made a point to put the condom on and take it off myself rather than letting my partner do it, making sure beforehand that it was more lubricated on the outside than on the inside (the most common cause of condom failure is excessive lubrication on the inside combined with dryness on the outside, causing the penis to stretch the latex to the point of puncture,) and checking it afterwards for tears as I removed it.

I am more convinced that my "seroconversion" occurred as a direct result of moving in with a friend who had 24 cats, just two months prior to testing positive. I have extremely severe cat allergies, and I became extremely ill with what I thought was a flu after a few weeks of moving in. When this "flu" didn't go away after 5 weeks, I became concerned that I might have AIDS, and got tested. It is my feeling that this illness caused me to test false positive.

----

mwatti
October 19th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I am more convinced that my "seroconversion" occurred as a direct result of moving in with a friend who had 24 cats, just two months prior to testing positive. I have extremely severe cat allergies, and I became extremely ill with what I thought was a flu after a few weeks of moving in. When this "flu" didn't go away after 5 weeks, I became concerned that I might have AIDS, and got tested. It is my feeling that this illness caused me to test false positive.

----

It is less likely, but also viable, that too much pussy can give you HIV.:)

max280
October 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Go and do you take AZT ?

Gos
October 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
It is less likely, but also viable, that too much pussy can give you HIV.:)

At the time of my seroconversion, I was only sleeping with one woman, who tests negative to this day.

Interestingly enough, we'd split up shortly before I tested poz, and I ended up getting back together with her, mostly because I was convinced that now that I was poz, she'd be the only woman who'd ever love me. We stayed together for an additional 5 years, in which we had unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse several times per day, every day (except the last year or so, when we started having sex less frequently,) and yet she never got HIV as a result.

I estimate that in that 5-year period (let alone the 2 years or so between the aforementioned "exposure risk" and our breakup), we easily had sex 1,000 times or more per year, and probably had sex several hundred times per year in the last year or so when we were having sex less frequently. This included, as I mentioned, anal intercourse, and I always ejaculated inside her, whether vaginally or anally.

And yet, as I've mentioned, she remains HIV-negative to this day.

----

mwatti
October 19th, 2010, 02:51 PM
That is very interesting. Do you think you may have contracted some other type of virus that clicked the HIV test into positive mode? Do you suffer the typical symptoms of a compromised immune system? Maybe you are not HIV infact. Have you ever had a viral load test?

Gos
October 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM
That is very interesting. Do you think you may have contracted some other type of virus that clicked the HIV test into positive mode? Do you suffer the typical symptoms of a compromised immune system? Maybe you are not HIV infact. Have you ever had a viral load test?

If a virus were the cause, then depending on the mode of transmission, any number of my sex partners and/or casual contacts would be false-positive by now. This has not happened.

I'm more convinced that simultaneous exposure to extremely high levels of cat dander, dust mite waste, and toxic mold caused my immune system to go haywire, causing hypergammaglobulinemia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergammaglobulinemia), which in turn caused me to test false positive. (Hypergammaglobulinemia is known to cause false positives on HIV tests. See: Moore J, Cone E, Alexander S. 1986. HTLV-III [HIV] seropositivity in 1971-1972 parenteral drug abusers - a case of false-positives or evidence of viral exposure? NEJM. 314:1387-1388, and Pearlman ES, Ballas SK. 1994. False-positive human immunodeficiency virus screening test related to rabies vaccination. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 118-805.)

As for symptoms, I do have symptoms similar to AIDS, including chronic recurrent pneumonias, fungal infections, etc. However, I had all of these diseases for 30 years before I tested positive -- it literally goes back to my infancy, when I had the worst case of thrush that my doctor had ever seen in his career. When I was a teenager, my septum was eaten away by a fungal infection, and to this day I have a huge hole between my nostrils. Also, some of my HIV-negative relatives have also had AIDS indicator diseases, including a younger sister who was hospitalized with toxoplasmosis at the age of about 12.

My viral load tests have ranged from non-detectable to 68,000. However, it is widely acknowledged that a viral load test cannot be used to prove actual infection, since PCR is notorious for false positives (http://www.virusmyth.com/aids/hiv/miloads.htm). Indeed, all quantitative HIV tests are packaged with a disclaimer stating that the test is not suitable for diagnosis of HIV infection for this very reason.

In one study, (Sloand E, Pitt E, Chiarello R, et al. 1991. "HIV Testing: State of the art." JAMA. 266:2861) it was acknowledged that if a low seroprevalence population were tested with PCR, "...for every true silent infection detected, 1800 uninfected donors would be classified as PCR positive and 3500 as PCR indeterminate. Thus PCR is clearly not suitable for routine screening of transfused blood." Other studies, such as Piatak M, Saag MS, Yang LC, et al. High levels of HIV-1 in plasma during all stages of infection determined by quantitative competitive PCR. (Science, 1993) have shown that PCR overestimates the real quantity of infectious HIV by at least 60,000:1. This places my VL readings well within the range of what we might expect of a false-positive viral load.

These facts, combined with my apparent inability to pass my "HIV infection" on to any sex partner regardless of "risk behaviors" and the apparent impossibility of the manner in which I was allegedly infected, convince me that I was never infected to begin with, and that pre-existing health conditions virtually indistinguishable from AIDS caused me to test false-positive.

My only remainin questions at this point are, "If this could happen to me, then how many others? Is anyone truly infected?"

----

G Man
October 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM
2.5 years, no meds and no health problems. Oh sorry, I take that back. I had a cold last week, it lasted 2 days and went away on its own (WITHOUT "cold medicine").

Now one of my friends who believes in the orthodoxy claims that the reason I'm not getting sick yet is because I have some Nordic genes which maybe makes me immune to HIV for a longer period of time. YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!!! lol

etay1207
November 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Gman, my boyfriend says the same about my health. To answer the question of the OP I have been HIV+ going on 12 years now.