PDA

View Full Version : Could I be developing AIDS dementia already? (ame-h247)

msn_UKprincenot2
October 25th, 2005, 05:26 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hola Everyone!<BR>As I have said before I was given an HIV poz test in June, but I went back to them and made sure they destroyed the record and a bunch of other nonsense. No one knows that I am poz except for my best friend (who is actually Charmed_hot_dissident, we live together). But anyway, I have been a getting a little bit more forgetful lately, and I am wondering if I am developing AIDS dementia already. I am not taking an AIDS medications or anything, but I am terrified. My grandmother has terrible Alzhemier s Disease and she is completly gone. She can t remember anything, she doesn t talk, she just lies in bed and chews on her fingers, while staring at the ceiling. I am afraid of becoming like that, especially at such a young age. What can I do? I would kill myself before ending up like my grandmother, I don t want my family to have to go threw what we go threw now with my grandmother. Someone please help. :(<BR><BR>PS. I am currently taking Selegiline HCL 5mg 2x a day. I brought it back to the US from Mexico because my doctor wouldn t prescribe it to me. I am taking it to help with the forgetfulness. Although its not so much forgetfullness its more like a cognitive dysfunction. Sorry I m not good at explaining these things.</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_SuperSport28405
October 25th, 2005, 04:34 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY> <TR height="100%"> <TD vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250> <DIV>UK Prince-</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The best thing to do , IMO, is to see a holistic MD that can possibly get to the root of the problem. I don t think self treatment with what you brought across the border is really the right thing to do.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Something I will point out though, is that it seems to me many people with a positive "HIV" antibody test, and especially those that progress to "AIDS" or immune suppression that is diagnosed as AIDS, may in fact have an overgrowth of candida albicans (candidaisis). </DIV> <DIV>Something you can experiment with is the candida diet where no sugars are consumed, not even fruits much less sodas and candy. Antibiotics and "hormone" drugs can instigate an overgrowth oc candida.&nbsp;Supplementing with probiotics would be beneficial as well. Some herbs can be helpful, but I would recommend seeing a naturopath/herbalist/acupuncturist for that-</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>There is a simple at home test that can be done to reveal an overgrowth of candida. First thing in the AM just spit into a glass of water and let it sit for 15 minutes or so...if the water turns colors, sinks to the bottom, or if "tentacles" form from the spit or some small chunks appear below the surface of the water, then it is likely you have an overgrowth of candida.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The allopathic route of treatment isn t very good. The drugs never really finish off the overgrowth and likely cause immune suppression or other sides.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Diagnosis, at least of a few years ago, by allopaths isn t very reliable. Most use an antibody test.....not the best way to do it IMO.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>One of the tell tale signs of candidaisis, systemic candidaisis, and infectious systemic candidaisis (where it is in the blood stream) is mental confusion, "brain fog", fatigue, and many other things.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>By all means, see a health professional first...I am just giving ideas.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Michael</DIV></TD></TR> <TR> <TD height=1> <DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_Fruticose22
October 28th, 2005, 03:36 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>Hi "UKPrince"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>This is just my opinion as well, but I have also seen the positive effects of removing mercury from the body first hand. My grandpa has Alzhemier s. In Gary Null s Encyclopedia of Natural Healing it states the fact that many people with mercury fillings and toxic metals in their blood are at greater risk for the "disease." (<A target=_top href="http://www.garynull.com/Article.aspx?Article=/Library.aspx&amp;Head=Library">http://www.garynull.com/Article.aspx?Article=/Library.aspx&amp;Head=Library</A>)&nbsp;My family put grandpa on the meds...what you discribe&nbsp;of your grandma is much the same as how my grandpa was. He was just in bed not able to function. This couple in&nbsp;Florida helped&nbsp;my grandpa a lot with the detox after he&nbsp;had the bad stuff taken out of his mouth. Their website is found here: <A target=_top href="http://www.tuberose.com">www.tuberose.com</A>. It speaks of the Neurotoxicity of Mercury. Here is also a great article on EMF s on that site: <A target=_top href="http://www.tuberose.com/Cell_Phones.html">http://www.tuberose.com/Cell_Phones.html</A>&nbsp;and yet another from Gary s site: <A target=_top href="http://www.garynull.com/Article.aspx?Article=/Library.aspx&amp;Head=Library">http://www.garynull.com/Article.aspx?Article=/Library.aspx&amp;Head=Library</A></DIV> <DIV>Yes, I think candida&nbsp;may play a role--but I think parasites (<A target=_top href="http://members.aol.com/naturalcures/alzheimersdisease.html">http://members.aol.com/naturalcures/alzheimersdisease.html</A>) and Mercury play a bigger role in memory&nbsp;loss. Here is another good link I found: <A target=_top href="http://curezone.com/diseases/alzheimers/">http://curezone.com/diseases/alzheimers/</A></DIV> <DIV>My grandpa was told he would be dead two years ago by&nbsp;top doctors in Washington, DC. After over a year of detox he still forgets things some times but he can function and he knows who he is. I don t think one can look at detox as a cure but rather as a life long process. If he does not make sure to do everything he can, everyday to keep his body clean he begins to not know where he is etc. etc. And UK Prince I d like to say that a support system during any detox program is vital. Without my grandma and his kids behind him--helping him every day I really doubt he d still be alive.</DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_UKprincenot2
October 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>To the two who replied:<BR>I did the test for Canididas (spelling) and it came back negative. :(<BR>As for Mercury, I have never had any type of filling ever put into my mouth. EVER. I have had perfect teeth my entire life, and I recently switched to flouride free toothpast to make them even better.<BR><BR>This is just really terrible. Is dementia even a sign of HIV in the early stages or is it a sign of the later stages?</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
October 29th, 2005, 11:11 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Have you tried the meditation and exercise route given that STRESS is often the cause of forgetfulness and you are obviously STRESSED about your test results and your grandmother? Are you getting enough deep sleep?<BR><BR>My understanding is dementia is not typical of "HIV disease" but rather connected to later "progression." However given the orthodoxy is so full of crap, I question whether "AIDS dementia" even exists, except in the forms caused by drugs and eager psychiatrists.<BR><BR>If you want a supplement for memory and cognitive function try gingko -- at least it is not dangerous and you don t need to go to Mexico to get it.<BR><BR>My grandmother was also diagnosed as likely having "Alzheimer s" although late in her life a new doctor suggested her problems may have been caused by all the prescription drugs she was on and had been on for well over a decade. This unfortunately was never tested as the first night she was sent into observation to begin going off the drugs, she broke her hip. The drugs continued and she died in a care home largely unconscious. <BR><BR>Good luck and RELAX. </FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_Fruticose22
October 30th, 2005, 06:54 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>UKPrincenot2:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I agree whole heartly with Robin. I did not mean to cause you any more worry. I just meant to say there are people out there who have gotten help naturally with dementia. But I agree think good thoughts. You are not your grandmother or an AIDS case you are your own person with your own abilities. Before my grandpa got sick he d think that he was getting Alzhemier s when he forgot his car keys. His father had it and I believe that may have played a role in his mindset. I did not want to&nbsp;believe anything was wrong with him until my familiy told me about his brain scans--which is I guess the only real way to find an answer. You have to think positive--this is very hard--but every day you have to wake up and say: "I am healthy, my mind is healthy." Go outside--just enjoy your life in all ways that you can. Every day is special--there will be no other day exactly like the last. &nbsp;</DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_Johann
November 1st, 2005, 06:11 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>I m not a doctor but I have in the past suffered from the brain fog so I ll pass along what I know. <BR>Like the poster earlier said, cutting out the sugars will only help. <BR>Alcohol and pot should be eliminated if they are being used. Also, exercise is good for the brain. Gets the blood going. A little fish oil is good as it thins the blood a bit and provides the brain with DHA. Also, Gotu Kola is a supplement that I take along with Vinpocetine. Those are both excellent. And you may want to consider investigating DMAE. Its works well. One last thing, get plenty of the B vitamins B6, Niacin and Folic Acid.<BR><BR>Johann</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
November 7th, 2005, 07:38 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>I don t generally like to cut and paste from Red Flags, but this is really interesting in relation to common dissident treatments for "AIDS" as well as Hassig s stress on inflammatoion, and it begins with Alzheimer s....<BR><BR>Turning Up The Heat On Inflammation<BR><BR>By Red Flags Columnist, Judith (Hall) Plowden<BR><BR>In recent years, inflammation has been linked more and more to major life-threatening conditions, including serious brain disorders such as Alzheimer?s. Now, it has been boosted into a starring role in heart disease. As Jack Challem explains in his excellent book, Inflammation Syndrome, ?the current thinking on heart disease is that it results from chronic low-grade inflammation of the arteries.? (1) In 2001, a European study found that adults with common chronic infections were three times more likely to develop fatty deposits in the key arteries that supply the brain. (2)<BR><BR>Basically, inflammation is our immune system?s response to harmful invaders. The system goes into alert mode, ready to fight infection or injury. White blood cells issue cytokines and other inflammatory chemicals to clean up damaged tissue and destroy bacteria. <BR><BR>Sometimes, this response process goes on and on, becoming chronic ? for years, even for a lifetime.<BR><BR>Anything ending in ?itis? refers to inflammation ? rheumatoid arthritis, tendonitis, sinusitis and so on. But also on the list are asthma, gout, irritable bowel syndrome, allergies, even diabetes. <BR><BR>And what about autoimmune diseases? Those chemical immune troops mistakenly attack nerves, joints or the digestive system and, in doing so, they become the enemy.<BR><BR>As to Alzheimer?s, researchers were curious about why patients who took anti-inflammatory drugs had a lower incidence of the disease. A recent study shows that the brain?s immune, or microglial, cells can detect a protein called beta-amyloid which forms the deadly plaque in Alzheimer?s victims. Recognizing the protein as a foreign substance, the microglial cells become activated, but, in the end, mount no attack, although they remain inflamed. As a result, under normal circumstances, says lead researcher Gary Landreth, a professor of neurosciences at Case Western Reserve University, the cells ?secrete a large number of very nasty things,? which kill neurons. (3)<BR><BR>Other brain disorders such as stroke, Parkinson?s and Lou Gehrig?s disease are also associated with inflammation produced by immune cells. (4)<BR><BR>On a larger scale, inflammation promotes the aging process. A recent study on anti-inflammatories concludes, ?Agents which reduce the intensity of inflammation should have broad spectrum application in degenerative diseases of aging.? (5)<BR><BR>It is obvious that the problems created by inflammation are widespread. But what can we do about them?<BR><BR>Achieving Balance<BR><BR>The incredibly complex immune system is all about balance, or homeostasis, of the body?s many systems. This is the fundamental basis for Oriental medicine, but Western medicine doesn?t pay proper attention to this traditional concept. High technology, pharmaceutical drugs? Yes, indeed. But balance? Look, these are modern times. Doctors have little time to discuss prevention, much less something as vague as balance. <BR><BR>Sad to say, modern high-tech medical care is similar to inflammation. It?s a system designed to respond immediately and efficiently to injury. For the pain and discomfort of inflammation, modern medicine offers aspirin-type pills, the newer ? and more dangerous ? Cox-2 inhibitors, and steroids like prednisone. As usual, these treat the symptoms rather than the cause. Like the cytokines emitted by our white blood cells, these drugs can go on to deplete nutrients and create side-effects, including, in the case of Vioxx, heart attacks and death.<BR><BR>What Western medicine often ignores is that if the body?s digestive system or nutrition is already out of balance when injury or disease strikes, then the inflammation will be far worse. To quote Jack Challem, ?When we dig deeper, we find that chronic inflammation is the consequence of an injury to the body combined with nutritional imbalances or deficiencies. To properly treat inflammatory diseases, it is essential to correct the underlying dietary problems.? (1)<BR><BR>Can You Measure Inflammation?<BR><BR>There is a blood test that detects the presence of inflammation in the body. CRP (C-reactive protein) is produced by the liver, not at the site of injury or infection. When levels are high, there is a greater risk of heart attack and stroke. The makers of cholesterol-lowering drugs are using CRP as another way to promote sales, but some doctors are still not convinced of the importance of this test for risk assessment. Maybe higher CRP levels are a contributing factor to heart disease. Maybe not. When I asked my cardiologist what my CRP level was on a blood test, she had to look through a lot of other results to find it, and seemed generally disinterested. <BR><BR>What You Can Do <BR><BR>The really good news is that we can fight this unintelligent design that?s built into our bodies ? this over-reactive immune response that has the potential to become chronic and speed up the aging process.<BR><BR>Of major importance is restoring nutritional balance. There?s that word again. With the right lifestyle changes and dietary choices, we can go for balance and fight inflammation on our own.<BR><BR>What is out of balance in most people, due to the modern diet of convenience and fast foods, is too many omega-6 fatty acids in relation to omega-3 fatty acids. <BR><BR>Omega 6 comes from sugar, white flour, potatoes, processed cereals, pasta, chips, snack foods, pastries and other carbohydrates. (So high-glycemic starches are out.) <BR><BR>Omega 3 is found in cold-water fish, in flaxseed, and in green leafy vegetables.<BR><BR>There?s more omega 3s can do. They can increase thermogenesis. That is, they dissipate calories in the form of body heat instead of storing them as fat. Excess weight, especially stored abdominal fat, contributes to inflammation. Fat cells produce those over-zealous cytokines. So the right diet is also lower in calories. (6)<BR><BR>Scientists at Harvard Medical School have just found a new class of anti-inflammatory fats in the human body called resolvins, which are made from omega 3s. BBC News reported on March 12 that lead researcher Charles Serhan has started to encourage his own children to eat foods rich in omega 3s. Ironically, the Cox-2 enzyme is involved in making the strongest resolvin, called E1, so it is very possible that taking the Cox-2 inhibiting drugs like Vioxx may not actually reduce inflammation but, instead, undercut ?one of the body?s most important methods for achieving the same effect.? Hmmm.<BR><BR>A Mediterranean Cruise<BR><BR>The anti-inflammatory diet we all should aim for is basically the Mediterranean, which emphasizes cold-water fish, rather than red meat, lots of fresh vegetables, some free-range chicken and turkey, omega-3 eggs, and fresh fruit, nuts, seeds and whole, unprocessed grains. This diet recommends we use only extra virgin olive oil for cooking. ?Bad? oils ? including ?partially hydrogenated? ones known as trans fats ? are high in Omega 6. These include margarine, safflower and corn oil. <BR><BR>While deep-fried snacks and many fast-food dishes are obviously hazardous to our health, we should also avoid allergens such as dairy products and gluten.<BR><BR>Sugar is also all too prevalent in the modern diet. Among other things, sugar stimulates resistance to insulin and increases the release of pro-inflammatory chemicals. <BR><BR>Recommended fish include wild salmon (not farmed), sardines, Pacific herring, lake trout, mackerel and anchovies. These are high in omega 3s, DHA (docosahexanoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentanoic acid). Lesser amounts can be obtained from halibut, sole, cod, snapper, crab and shrimp. However, it?s important to remember with diets high in fish that today some commercial saltwater species such as tuna and swordfish have dangerous levels of mercury. <BR><BR>Fish oils as supplements are an option for those who haven?t the taste or time for cooked fish. Cod liver oil has been a home remedy for many decades now. But there is a problem with this option. Fish oils can quickly and easily become oxidized. The solution is to find a product that offers fish oil along with a potent form of vitamin E (gamma tocopherol) as protection. Flax oil is also rich in omega 3s.<BR><BR>The Natural Route<BR><BR>What are some of the natural anti-inflammatories? There?s ginger, glucosamine, white willow bark extract and niacinamide. All of these are natural, but as Johnathan Wright, MD, points out, they are not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, although Vioxx and Celebrex were. (7)<BR><BR>Other natural herbs that can calm those over-excited inflammatory chemicals are curcumin (from turmeric), rosemary, basil and boswellia, an ayurvedic herb. Pycnogenol is another, extracted from the bark of maritime pine. Astaxanthin, a carotenoid compound from microalgae, is a super antioxidant that protects the cell membrane. Coenzyme Q10, a supplement booming in popularity today, also has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and helps protect the arteries as well as the heart muscle. (6) <BR><BR>Ginger has a real ability to counter inflammation. You can buy the strange-looking ginger root in any food market and keep it in the freezer, shaving off small amounts into soups and stews as inspired. It adds delicious flavor and has many beneficial activities. ?As a powerful antioxidant, with more than 12 constituents superior to vitamin E, ginger helps neutralize free radicals, which are widely recognized as participating or being responsible for the inflammatory process.? (8)<BR><BR>All antioxidants are also anti-inflammatory. This is the reason fresh vegetables and fruits are so important. Their compounds, various flavonoids and polyphenols, have antioxidant punch. In general, the darker or brighter the color ? e.g., blueberries, cherries, red apples, green spinach, red pepper ? the stronger the punch<BR><BR>Bromelain, extracted from the stems of pineapples, has proved efficient at reducing inflammation in sinusitis sufferers. It helps to thin out the inflammatory secretions so that the body?s own infection fighters can get at the problem site. (9) <BR><BR>Let?s not forget MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane), now a highly popular supplement, for its ability to soothe aching joints. Cardiologist Stephen Sinatra recommends it for reducing pain and inflammation after surgery. (10) It is ?a bonafide anti-inflammatory agent.? MSM impacts each of the body?s signs of inflammation: redness, heat, pain, swelling and loss of function of a particular body part. (11)<BR><BR>Alpha-lipoic acid is a major antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Among its wide powers, it can inhibit the production of NFkB (nuclear factor-kappa B) that produces inflammatory cytokines. (12) It also improves insulin sensitivity and is recommended for treating diabetic problems.<BR><BR>Last, but certainly not least, is vitamin E. According to Jack Challem, this antioxidant can block inflammatory processes in several ways ? by preventing the activation of certain genes, by blocking one of the omega-6 pathways, by lowering Cox-2 activity, and more. The best supplement form is not the most common one (synthetic alpha tocopherol vitamin E) but, rather, the mixed natural tocopherols. The ideal dosage would be 400 milligrams daily.<BR><BR>The right nutrients are available to us in food and as supplements. I hope this information will help Red Flags readers gain the upper hand and win that war within. We all have some inflammation just about all the time. Reducing inflammation is a powerful weapon in preventing disease and extending our lives.<BR><BR>References:<BR><BR>1. Challem, J. The Inflammation Syndrome. John Wiley &amp; Sons. 2003.<BR><BR>2. Kiechl, S. et al. Chronic infections and the risk of carotid atherosclerosis: prospective results from a large population study. Circulation. 2001. Feb. 27; 103(8): 1064-70.<BR><BR>3. http://www.alzheimersupport.com/library/print.cfm?ID=1920&t=Alzheimers<BR><BR>4. Tzeng, S.F. et al. Prostaglandins and cyclooxygenases in glial cells during brain inflammation. Curr Drugs Targets Inflamm Allergy. 2005. June; 4(3): 335-40.<BR><BR>5. McGeer, E.G. et al. Inflammation, the complement system and the diseases of aging. Neurobiol Aging. 2005, Sept. 27. (Epub ahead of print.)<BR><BR>6. Perricone, N.V., MD. The Perricone Weight Loss Program. Life Extension magazine. November, 2005<BR><BR>7. Johnathan Wright, MD. Nutrition and Healing Newsletter, November 2001.<BR><BR>8. Schulick, P. Ginger: Common Spice &amp; Wonder Drug. Hohm Press. 1996<BR><BR>9. Seltzer, AP. Adjunctive use of bromelains in sinusitis: a controlled study. EENT Monthly. 1967; 46: 1281-1288. )<BR><BR>10. Stephen Sinatra, MD. Heart, Health &amp; Nutrition Newsletter, October 2005.<BR><BR>11. Jacob, S., Lawrence, R. and Zucker, M. The Miracle of MSM; The Natural Solution for Pain. Putnam. 1999.<BR><BR>12. Life Extension Report, February 2001.</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_UKprincenot2
November 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hola Everyone Again!<BR>Here s the scoop:<BR>I am not developing AID$ dementia, I am just a drama queen, and I got really scared that I was developing AID$ dementia. But, I took the advice here on the board and stopped taking the Selegiline HCL, and the memory/confusion stuff is all gone. I read up on the side effects on Selegiline and confusion is one of them and its actually a very common side effect.<BR><BR>Thank you all for helping keep me grounded.</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>