PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Online debating - support required

BuffaloBoy
April 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I'm a member of a social website called thingbox a box of things (http://www.thingbox.com). It's for gay men and women (although there are only ever a few women online).

The point here is, is that whenever there's any discussion around questioning HIV/AIDS, inevitably I get shouted down. Typically, they don't address the points I make, and simply parrot the 'fact' that HIV causes AIDS and that's that. I've been called a 'denialist', told that people with views like mine should be tried in the Hague for crimes against humanity, as well as being called an 'idiot' and a 'moron'.

None of this will be surprising to those of us who've had more than a passing interest in the re-thinking AIDS movement. What I find so annoying is that gay men have bought the HIV/AIDS paradigm hook, line and sinker. You'd think that after what happened with AZT they might be a little more questioning about it. But like other people with establishment views, if you disagree with them then you only deserve to be 'locked up'.

I feel like I'm a lone voice on there. It would be really good if some people off AME could join thingbox a box of things (http://www.thingbox.com) One of my thoughts is that as much as I love being able to come to AME to read other people's opinions, ultimately, we're just preaching to the choir. This is fine, as far as it goes, but wouldn't it be useful to spread ourselves around a bit more and show them that it's not just the odd 'nutter' who's questioning HIV, but that other people are too.

Also, it would be useful to share our debating skills. I'm quite strong on the social aspects of HIV and its stigmatising effects, but less good when it comes to critiquing the scientific part and building that into a strong argument.

Given that the film 'House of Numbers' is doing the rounds and articles are appearing about it online, now would be a perfect time to get our message out there and show that we're not just going to hide away and be silent.

I know it's not the same as marching in the streets but I do believe having a strong voice online, so that we continue to get our message accross, is still an important political act.

So, please, join me at thingbox a box of things (http://www.thingbox.com) and let the REAL battle commence!

(You have to become member of Thingbox but this can be done very easily without having to fill out too much information and you can start posting to the forums straight away. My screen name on the site is 'Digital' so please feel free to send me a message, and I can also point you in the direction of the most recent HIV debates if necessary, although it's pretty user-friendly site. And of course, by all means start your own, but I would caution against using obvious screen names like 'HIV Lies' or 'AIDS dissident' as people will instantly dismiss your postings as that of a troll.).

Brian Carter
April 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I've been called a 'denialist',.......... being called an 'idiot' and a 'moron'.
Join the club Buffalo Boy, but forgive them, for they do not know a thing other than their protected little box. Concentrate on logic and not hysteria.

BuffaloBoy
April 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
And now I've just been called a 'tedious little nutter'.

It's the fact that people so quickly resort to abusive slurs and language is what gets me.
They will do and say anything in order to make you seem a lunatic or irrelavent.

But it also suggests just how threatened the 'dissident' discourse makes them feel. No one who's secure in themself would need to behave in such an aggressive way.