PDA

View Full Version : CMV in digestive system (ame-h119)

msn_California
August 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hello all,<BR><BR>Does anyone here has been diagnosed with cytomegalovirus in the digestive system? If so, what kind of medications did you have to take?</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
August 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>My HIV- sister was diagnosed with CMV about 15 years ago and her problems included with her digestive system, as well as generally fatigue and some fevers. She was largely bed ridden for months -- distantly kept up with school but not classes, etc.<BR><BR>In those days the official allopathic medical line (at least with the HIV-) was that there was nothing you can take for a virus. Hence her treatment was good food, plenty of liquids and lots of bed rest. Still makes more sense to me than pharmaceuticals.<BR><BR>Licorice root is the most popular and studied natural anti-viral, but simply eating and living to improve health should go a long way. Pears have been suggested to "HIV+" folk by natural nutritionists for their anti-viral capabilities. Hyssop is another herb claimed as anti-viral. <BR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
August 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Two more herbs coming up on a quick search are St. John s Wort and Stinging Nettle leaf juice.<BR><BR>You realize 80% of adults (higher in gay men) are supposed to have antibodies to CMV, and generally it is not known to cause disease except in the previously immune suppressed due to transplant drugs, chemo, etc. (An HIV+ test does not prove immune suppression, nor does a low CD$ count.) In these cases the question is if CMV is the problem or the drugs. <BR><BR>A question for all: What incidence has been recorded of CMV retinitis in HIV+ people who do not take antivirals, be it AZT monotherapy or HAART? Has the incidence of CMV diseases like retinitis changed in the HIV+ since the shift from AZT monotherapy to HAART?</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_California
August 31st, 2004, 01:12 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>My brother has not taken any HIV meds, he was diagnosed with AIDS three months ago but he refused to start any HIV meds.&nbsp; He has been doing fairly well staying away from opportunistic infections.&nbsp; The only thing that has starting to really bother him is his digestive system, he feels like the food gets stuck on his esophagus and once it hits his stomach it creates a lot of gas and cramps, then he has to go to the bathroom. </DIV> <DIV>His doctor suspects CMV but I m not so sure.&nbsp;Do you know of any other condition that causes similar symptoms?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Thanks Robin!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Lucy</DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_meowmix_1969
August 31st, 2004, 03:45 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><FONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2><DIV>THRUSH, it could be candida, but he needs to have it checked.&nbsp; </DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV>Kika&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
August 31st, 2004, 10:11 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hi Lucy,<BR><BR>Stress from an HIV+ test and depression, complicated by diet and candidiasis, was enough for me to have major digestive problems for about the first two years after I was diagnosed positive. The only thing I was treated for was ulcers, but the medication did not have an impact. I will still have stomach problems at times when I am being forced to do something I don t want to do -- hence much of my digestive issues seems to be pyschological.<BR><BR>What helped was changing my diet to address a candida infection and increase roughage. If I sense my digestive system is getting messed up now I tend to try things like ginger root or cayenne pepper tea -- both suggested widely for stomachs. Probiotics are also good particularly if you have a history of antibiotic use or yeast infection. Poor digestion can often mean a lack of good flora. The other major thing that worked for me was coming across dissident literature and putting my thinking cap back on.<BR><BR>Those of us diagnosed HIV+ who refuse meds are at particularly high risk from the imaginations of our doctors and our own hypochondria. CMV would seem unlikely even based on the orthodox profile of HIV infection and OIs.<BR><BR>Given how recent his diagnosis, stress seems very likely. It might also be worthwhile to consider if particular foods cause more problems. My sister has similar problems swallowing certain foods and also acid reflux, but no one has ever suggested this can be traced back to her CMV diagnosis. <BR><BR>Remind him that even by the orthodox account he has a good decade before he should be getting the CDC AIDS defining OIs (and that untreated HIV+s in Uganda with no adequate health care and malnutrition live as long as western HIV+s on antivirals). <BR><BR>Cheers,<BR>Robin<BR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_NickManon
August 31st, 2004, 02:48 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV align=left><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000>I m no medic but can I suggest you seek out a yoghurt drink called kefir. From the website </FONT><A target=_top href="http://www.kefir.net"><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000>www.kefir.net</FONT></A><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000> : </FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000>"In addition to beneficial bacteria and yeast, kefir contains minerals and essential amino acids that help the body with healing and maintenance functions. The complete proteins in kefir are partially digested and therefore more easily utilized by the body. Tryptophan, one of the essential amino acids abundant in kefir, is well known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system. Because kefir also offers an abundance of calcium and magnesium, which are also important minerals for a healthy nervous system, kefir in the diet can have a particularly profound calming effect on the nerves. </FONT><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000>Kefir s ample supply of phosphorus, the second most abundant mineral in our bodies, helps utilize carbohydrates, fats, and proteins for cell growth, maintenance and energy.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000>Kefir is rich in Vitamin B12, B1, and Vitamin K. It is an excellent source of biotin, a B Vitamin which aids the body s assimilation of other B Vitamins, such as folic acid, pantothenic acid, and B12. The numerous benefits of maintaining adequate B vitamin intake range from regulation of the kidneys, liver and nervous system to helping relieve skin disorders, boost energy and promote longevity."</FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial>I ve been drinking this stuff every morning for over two years and it has cleared up a skin condition and helps me sleep (I m naturally quite hyper) and combined with a series of colonic treatments you could eat your dinner off my insides! Above all, it is cheap and natural. </FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial>Best to all.</FONT></DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face=Arial>NM</FONT></DIV> <P align=left><FONT face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</P> <P align=left><FONT face="Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000000></FONT>&nbsp;</P></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
September 1st, 2004, 08:40 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hi Lucy, <BR><BR>I forgot an obvious suggestion for digestion and stress: Chamomille tea. It worked well for me. I also cut most dairy products except feta cheese and yogurt -- seems to be common to have problems with milk and hard cheeses.<BR><BR>Cheers.</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_California
September 2nd, 2004, 01:54 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>Okay one more question...</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Is CMV in the digestive system a progressive desease?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_aidsmythexposed-dot-com
September 2nd, 2004, 05:21 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>"California":<BR><BR>I would suggest trying to get your brother to a qualified healthcare practitioner. Have you tried doing this yet? Have a look at our "Find a Doctro" page which is at: <a target=_top href="http://groups.msn.com/aidsmythexposed/doctors.msnw">http://groups.msn.com/aidsmythexposed/doctors.msnw</a>.<BR><BR>Rod Knoll,<BR>Moderator,<BR>AIDS Myth Exposed<BR><a target=_top href="http://www.aidsmythexposed.com">www.aidsmythexposed.com</a></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
September 3rd, 2004, 08:30 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Is CMV in the digestive system even a disease is the first question to ask. Beyond getting your bro over his hysterical self-diagnosis, it would be important to learn how to do your own research. The NIH and CDC will give you the orthodox tale of CMV. Searching the index at virusmyth.net should provide some insight into more critical understandings. NOTE most people at some point supposedly contract the CMV virus and it is harmless -- before your brother books his funeral he would be wise to find an alternative physician and deal with his stress/depression. It is always easier to take pharmaceuticals than deal with actual causes of illness like stress and diet.</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_jamesjwhiteheadUK
September 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>Courtesy</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It would be interesting to find out how many or what percentage of people develope CMV when starting HAART, whats reffered to by some as "immune reconstition-disease", which includes cancer, liver disease,PCP,MAC,CMV,Papiloma etc etc. But I wonder about redox adaption, with a background of low thiols, then exposure to oxidising agents ?? I know Rod and Mr Christopher had some execellent posts on this subject which made me chuckle. Has anyone got any data on the toxicity of IV Gangcyclovir ? or oral Vangangcyclovir ? Would be interested, these agents I have been exposed to alot and I know they are cytotoxic thats just the start.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><BR>CMV-related visual loss remains common in HAART era <P>Last Updated: 2003-06-30 13:28:12 -0400 (Reuters Health) </P><P>NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Depending on immune recovery status, visual loss related to cytomegalovirus retinitis can often occur in HIV-infected individuals treated with highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), according to a report in the July British Journal of Ophthalmology. </P><P>Inflammatory sequelae and visual loss have complicated healed CMV retinitis in the <STRONG><FONT color=#0000ff>setting of immune recovery following HAART</FONT></STRONG>, the authors explain, but long-term visual outcomes have not been systematically assessed. </P><P>Dr. William Freeman from University of California San Diego in La Jolla, California, and associates determined the long-term visual outcome of 63 HAART-treated AIDS patients (90 eyes) with extramacular CMV retinitis in relation to immune failure or immune recovery with or without immune recovery uveitis (IRU). </P><P><FONT color=#0000ff><STRONG>Twenty-one of 48 patients (26 eyes) who achieved immune recovery developed IRU, the report indicates. </STRONG></FONT> </P><P>Patients with immune recovery but without IRU had the lowest incidence of ocular sequelae, the authors report, whereas the highest incidence occurred in patients with immune recovery and IRU. </P><P>Also, the highest rate of cataract formation (84%) occurred in eyes with IRU, the results indicate, while the lowest incidence was seen in eyes without IRU in immune-recovery patients. </P><P>Similarly, moderate visual loss was most likely to develop in eyes with immune recovery and subsequent IRU, the researchers note, and severe visual loss was significantly associated with retinal detachment. </P><P>"We attribute our findings to the high incidence of intraocular inflammation secondary to HAART induced immune recovery uveitis in the setting of healed CMV retinitis," the authors conclude. "<STRONG><FONT color=#0000ff>In the HAART era, vision loss is still common in CMV retinitis patients</FONT></STRONG>." </P><P><STRONG><FONT color=#0000ff>Br J Ophthalmol 2003;87:853-855 </FONT></STRONG><BR><BR></P></DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_briancady413
September 23rd, 2004, 11:39 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>To: Lucy - California</DIV> <DIV>Could your brother have a bad case of Giardia? I think it can cause funny-tasting burps, gas in general and nausea and cramping. </DIV> <DIV><A target=_top href="http://giardiaclub.com/giardia-symptoms.html"><FONT face=Arial color=blue size=2>http(colon, slash, slash) giardiaclub.com/giardia-symptoms.html</FONT></A></DIV> <DIV>Although giardia is said to inhabit the small intestine, not the stomach, it may be that food rapidly starts leaving&nbsp;your brother s stomach&nbsp;and causig symptoms.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Brian Cady</DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>