PDA

View Full Version : US Ban, has it been lifted ???

SheLaughsCarrot
February 21st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Hi all US citizens,

I was wondering if the US ban on those who are "HIV" + to either work in US or on personal visit has been lifted ? I feel this is really an idiotic was...wish there's some congress people who can fight to lift this ban forever...

anyone knows anything ? :cool:

resistanceisfruitful
February 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
SLC... I almost ignored your question, thinking the answer was pretty obvious and could be answered with a quick google search. The ban was lifted last year, the only thing W did that I agreed with.
Apparently that's not the whole answer. The Congress passed and a President has signed legislation removing the ban, but Health and Human Services continues to list "HIV" as the only disease that be used to prevent entry to the US. Net effect: no change.
:confused: (Is this the WTF icon on here?!)
Surprisingly, it looks like there hasn't been much written about this since last summer when the ban was supposedly lifted!
I'm only guessing that with a new administration the agency policy will catch up with the law soon. If not, this deserves more attention.
Maybe someone else has a more definitive answer?

SheLaughsCarrot
February 22nd, 2009, 04:30 AM
Hhhmmm...as far as Im concerned, I dont think the ban is being lifted at all, judging from the feedback from my other friends who wants to go to work in US(for about 3 to 4 years), it seems they still need to do seropositivity test as part of the medical check-up. And you guys know that if US dont want to lift this STUPID ban up, the other world arent doing so, maybe Europe is doing it differently. So, the answer might not be obvious after all, the STUPID US government might be announcing in your local newspapaers or any international media, BUT thye still do this kind of check at the back...

I really hate the way US Administration do things...they dont walk what they talk...the last time I heard was Congress person Barbara Lee is fighting to get this ban lifted up ? so far, no news at all ?:eek:

SLC... I almost ignored your question, thinking the answer was pretty obvious and could be answered with a quick google search. The ban was lifted last year, the only thing W did that I agreed with.
Apparently that's not the whole answer. The Congress passed and a President has signed legislation removing the ban, but Health and Human Services continues to list "HIV" as the only disease that be used to prevent entry to the US. Net effect: no change.
:confused: (Is this the WTF icon on here?!)
Surprisingly, it looks like there hasn't been much written about this since last summer when the ban was supposedly lifted!
I'm only guessing that with a new administration the agency policy will catch up with the law soon. If not, this deserves more attention.
Maybe someone else has a more definitive answer?

SheLaughsCarrot
February 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
i guess maybe US people arent that concern about this...

resistanceisfruitful
February 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Can't speak for all "US people", but I am concerned and have always been embarrassed by the ban. I really thought it had been lifted. Personally, I plan to make some calls to my representatives on Monday because of your post.
If you're referring to a lack of responses here, be patient. I get the impression this rad new AME board has members kinda' intimidated--present company excluded. lol.

i guess maybe US people arent that concern about this...

brianozz
February 23rd, 2009, 01:10 AM
If you're referring to a lack of responses here, be patient. I get the impression this rad new AME board has members kinda' intimidated--present company excluded. lol.
If you work what intimidates them, please let us know so we can fix it, or at least try to!

resistanceisfruitful
February 23rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Brian... intimidate might not have been the best choice of words. New places take time to get used to. I just expected more action once the new site launched.

I think time will do wonders. Lots of new features to play with, but I'm kinda' afraid to push a button the first time. i.e. the "social groups" feature. What is it? Like a chat feature or something? Hmmm... guess there's one way to find out. Surely someone will slap my hand if I push the wrong button(s) in here.:D

If you work what intimidates them, please let us know so we can fix it, or at least try to!

SheLaughsCarrot
February 23rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Please do call your representatives...Please, the modern medical is a disaster anyway, the only situation that is beneficial are those accidents cases...

Please US people, many outsiders ( and I mean those who enter USA legally through airport ) cant get in because the hanky-panky done by the Health Ministry of USA ! This obviously. I mean this HIV=AIDS is not yet proven(why cant americans demand their government for the proof of

1) HIV isolation
2) study that shows HIV is transmitted sexually
3) study that shows HIV can kill CD4

if the government cant provide you...you know something is fishy) We need to shoot the US govenrment down and the whole world will then start to wake up...this problem comes from US itself. Unfortunately, this unproven hypothesis has not manage to save any lives...it is time to support those HIV+ people who lives more than 20 years(without medication) to provide testimonies, they are living proof that the medical theory that says the lifepsan is between 2 to 20 years is wrong...

if we dont act now, it will remain stagnant...

SheLaughsCarrot
February 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
well obviously there are some US people who already buy in to this mistake theory...that's why the medical and pharmaceutical still is lurking....

(Bush is an idiot, he better joins Lucifer!)

anyway, pls have a look at this

http://www.ua2010.org/en/UA2010/Universal-Access/Travel-Restrictions/CS-letter-on-HIV-related-travel-restrictions

anyone any comments ??? seems like no comments from people....

Please do call your representatives...Please, the modern medical is a disaster anyway, the only situation that is beneficial are those accidents cases...

Please US people, many outsiders ( and I mean those who enter USA legally through airport ) cant get in because the hanky-panky done by the Health Ministry of USA ! This obviously. I mean this HIV=AIDS is not yet proven(why cant americans demand their government for the proof of

1) HIV isolation
2) study that shows HIV is transmitted sexually
3) study that shows HIV can kill CD4

if the government cant provide you...you know something is fishy) We need to shoot the US govenrment down and the whole world will then start to wake up...this problem comes from US itself. Unfortunately, this unproven hypothesis has not manage to save any lives...it is time to support those HIV+ people who lives more than 20 years(without medication) to provide testimonies, they are living proof that the medical theory that says the lifepsan is between 2 to 20 years is wrong...

if we dont act now, it will remain stagnant...

resistanceisfruitful
April 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM
The likely new Secretary of Health and Human Services is already being targeted by activists to lift the ban on HIV-positives visiting the U.S.

Physicians for Human Rights is issuing the call (http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/library/news-2009-03-30.html).

StarZ
April 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I think the ban will be lifted with one massive caveat- undetectability, ie a very well medicated person, or a CD4 cut off, noone wants someone who will collapse the very next day especially since it is really hard to insure the poz (private) even Americans. I remember reading of a US man who married a lady from the Horn (Ethiopia/ Somalia) who was poz. They had a daughter, they were legally married. The State said she could enter once insured. Noone would insure her. He took his daughter and left her in Egypt for over 7yrs he could not insure her, noone would take his money. She died there in the end. Probably the stress of that situation.

People getting UK mortgages suffer the same, you cant insure your mortgage as the insurance is a life policy. You can get an interest only loan though which requires a higher deposit and then the principle has to be cleared by other means to reduce the loan and achieve ownership. Its better than nothing and it works out okay in the end.

Is there any place a poz person can get (reasonable) life insurance?

resistanceisfruitful
July 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Here's an update on the status of the US ban on international travelers who test "HIV-positive". I don't understand why it may take up to six more months to implement the change in policy, especially considering this ban was supposedly lifted during the last administration.

Good news, nonetheless.

America to remove HIV visa ban after Briton's protest (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/05/hiv-visa-america-paul-thorn)

StarZ
January 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Well blow me down

Brian Carter
February 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
To update this thread, I'd like to post the following link for information purposes:
Immigration Equality.Org (http://www.immigrationequality.org/template.php?pageid=178)

I find that this was long overdue, but there are still countries that may be restrictive, such as China -->

http://i46.tinypic.com/htgp7b.jpg

Brian Carter
April 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM
CHINA (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gyqOn_bcEGdReRKGq4d3zVEVgG6Q)FINALLY DID IT.

"China announced Tuesday it would lift the restrictions ahead of the opening Saturday of the Shanghai World Expo, which is expecting up to 100 million visitors during its six-month run."

Telemachos
April 30th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Well, congratulations to both China and the U.S.--it's long overdue in both cases! By the way, where the U.S. is concerned, one reason it took so long is that we had a change of administration. After President Bush signed the order--which he did on my birthday!--some kind of long-drawn-out bureaucratic proceedure had to be gone through. Unfortunately, this process had not yet been completely when a new president came in and, like most new presidents when they are of the former opposition, immediately cancelled everything still in process that had originated with his predecessor. When he finally got around to the HIV travel-ban question, six months or so later, the whole bureaucratic process had to be gone through again.

But I haven't been able to find an answer to this question: are only tourists allowed, or will these countries now be giving work visas to people with HIV?

I have a personal stake in this question. I taught at a Chinese university from 2003 to 2005. In order to get the work visa in the summer of 2003, I had to show up at the Chinese consulate here in NYC with a medical evaluation that included a statement that I was HIV-; in fact, I got tested then, for the first time in my life, and I was negative. I did not have to take another medical test in China, and when I renewed my contract for a second year I did not have to get tested again. But at some point in early 2005, they changed their policy. From then on, tests performed in foreign countries were no longer accepted; even if someone was tested in his home country, he still had to be retested upon arrival in China; furthermore, someone renewing a contract had to get retested every year. In other words, even if I had stayed in China for a third year, I would have had to get tested again there, and would presumably have tested positive and been deported.

I did not stay in China for a third year; I moved to Taiwan instead. That country, like many others, does not have a U.S. or China style total ban on people with HIV, but it does refuse to grant work or study visas to them. I applied for a work visa upon finding a job, tested positive, and was deported from the country; the whole thing was extremely traumatic.

Since going back to China for another year or two of teaching is something I'd like to do someday, this is a major question for me: has China simply become like Taiwan--I can visit but cannot work--or are they even granting work visas? The fact that their requirements became more severe in 2005 does not suggest a country that is liberalizing its attitude on this question. Where could I find out?

G Man
May 1st, 2010, 02:19 AM
What is/would be the reasoning behind banning HIV positive people from traveling to or working in a certain country? Even by orthodoxy standards, what are they worried about?

Telemachos
May 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM
What is/would be the reasoning behind banning HIV positive people from traveling to or working in a certain country? Even by orthodoxy standards, what are they worried about?

Two things: I could have sex with people and spread the virus; I could become ill and 'need' the ARVs. Then, if I don't have money for these expensive medicines, they are faced with a choice of 1. Allowing a foreigner to die in their country, or 2. paying for his expensive medical care.

Brian Carter
May 2nd, 2010, 05:40 PM
I would venture to say (without further research into it) that lifted travel restrictions are one thing and immigration/work permits are another.

Sad that this would be the case as in Telemacho's endeavor, but that shouldn't prevent one from trying. Lie about it if asked and who knows, with the extremely flawed nature of HIV testing, could prove to be in one's favor if testing is mandatory anyway.

Telemachos
May 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM
I would venture to say (without further research into it) that lifted travel restrictions are one thing and immigration/work permits are another.

Sad that this would be the case as in Telemacho's endeavor, but that shouldn't prevent one from trying. Lie about it if asked and who knows, with the extremely flawed nature of HIV testing, could prove to be in one's favor if testing is mandatory anyway.

Until recently, when someone from the U.S. (or anywhere else) wanted to work in China, he had first to get tested for HIV in his own country and present the test results at the Chinese embassy or consulate in order to get the work visa; he then had to get tested again in China, perhaps because the Chinese authorities didn't trust documents from foreign countries (and, to be fair, it would no doubt be fairly easy to forge a medical certificate; we, for example, wouldn't be able to judge the authenticity of what purported to be a medical certificate from China!) So, to "try" would require getting an HIV test here (or forging one? Or asking my doctor to lie on one?) buying a ticket, and hoping that I either don't get asked to test again in China or am lucky enough to test negative when every other test I've taken has been positive.

I've lived and worked in three foreign countries in my life: Korea, China, and Taiwan. Taiwan deported me, and until a few months ago Korea and China would not allow me to set foot on their soil. Now both of those countries have lifted that travel ban, but Korea still would refuse a work or student visa, and I sadly suspect China would too. A year ago I wanted to go to Kurdistan but they would have rejected me, and so too, almost certainly, would the peace corps, which I was interested in for a while. All this grief over an "illness" that so far--six years in!--hasn't caused me so much as a sniffle. :mad: Oh well, maybe in another few years sanity will prevail?

truth84
May 3rd, 2010, 02:31 AM
I agree that this is all ridiculous. Not only is the disease a myth but even if it were real there is no reason why a country should be concerned about such a hard-to-catch virus. These same countries have no problem with someone entering with the flu and coughing on everyone which causes more fatalities than AIDS does.