PDA

View Full Version : 2000 eulogy by Kramer (ame-a151)

msn_MrKenA1
September 2nd, 2004, 10:34 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Old eulogy from the activist orthodoxy but there are some strategies worth exploring -- think of 10 healthy HIV- negs pulling off CD$ counts here and 10 dissidents diagnosed with AIDS getting naturopathic treatment paid for, and it all adds up over time -- and it is an incisive statement on the realities of contemporary medicine and the pharmaceutical companies for those still with their heads in the sand. And since this thread has been so quiet....<BR><BR>An excerpt from Anthony Brink, DEBATING AZT<BR>Mbeki and the AIDS Drug Controversy at http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/data/abdebating.htm<BR><BR>Brink is required reading.<BR><BR>"[112] On 27 July 2000 at a memorial for Stephen Gendin, who had predicted his own death on AIDS drugs in his article in POZ the year before, If the virus doesn?t get you the drugs you take will, Larry Kramer spoke bitterly and desperately about his community?s experience of the drugs, and about the state of AIDS medicine generally: What can we do to honor Stephen? ...He was a gentleman, a soft-spoken, kind-hearted, very very sweet and very very smart young man... This fine young man is dead now. In his death we see what awaits us. He went on the very first drugs, and he took every drug and pill and treatment there was for him to take. Look into your future boys and girls and have a little more fear and trembling than you?ve been showing these past few years. Why, at Durban even Dr. Fauci said that taking these drugs for the rest of our lives is ?not an option.? ...Stephen was a poster boy. You looked at that open and kind and interested face and as it smiled at you, you felt good. He and Mark and their friends were ?the look? of that new organization coming into being called ACT UP. Because of how they looked, and how they acted, and how they talked and what they said and did, smart thoughts came out of their mouths and they spent a lot of time doing deeds beside dancing. Other smart young people flocked to ACT UP to be like them. This was the new activism. Do you remember it? It?s almost as dead as Stephen. Well, like Stephen, it was wonderful while it lived. Fighting the enemy with devoted comrades-in-arms makes you feel wonderful. And clean. Is your life wonderful now? Do you feel clean? Have all these shitty drugs we fought so hard to get made you feel wonderful and clean? ...People ask me why I wear overalls all the time now. You want to know the real reason? I don?t have a butt anymore. Pants fall off of me when I wear them. I have to walk down the street with my hands in my pockets holding them up. Unless I have my hands in my pockets hiking up my underpants. Or my Pampers.? Stephen and I had an inimitable conversation not so long ago exchanging stories about shitting in your pants before you could get to a john. Yeah, I feel dirty and shitty in lots of ways.? No, I, and you, all of us, never finished the job. We started something and when a bunch of rebels left us [Treatment Action Group] we let them get away with it, almost grateful that somebody elsewas going to be doing the work now. Let them have their turn, even if they shut out everybody who didn?t think the way they did. After all we?d been rebels ourselves once, hadn?t we. But in their leaving, ACT UP pretty much fell apart. The new rebels haven?t turned out much better. They can t finish the job either. They?re on the same shitty drugs we are and feel just as shitty as we do. ...Research, very little of it very original, is still in the hands of a only few people. We know who they are. We kiss their asses and pal around with them and go to conferences with them and pretend they?re our friends and we?re their friends. Where has it got us? Here... Betrayal. We have been betrayed at every turn. Getting inside the NIH got us dipshit. The drug companies? We gave them our bodies, an army of bodies, to be their guinea pigs, so they could develop decent treatments that could then be exported to the rest of a desperately needy dying world. We got them fast track so they could make billions instead of finishing their work, refining their product. They used our bodies to create poisons that kill HIV and kill us too, and then they decamped without improving their wares, and without any consideration for all the dying people everywhere. This is immoral. Can?t you feel hate in your heart for every greedy slimy bastard who works at a drug company? Isn?t this a good time to scare the shit out of them because now they need us desperately? We?re a huge market now, one they count on for huge profits. If we don?t buy their product, if we bad mouth their product, if we tell the world Dupont?s Sustiva is one of the most inhumane medicines ever launched into the bloodstream of man, maybe they?ll become so afraid of us they?ll start behaving like scientists and not like Nazi experimenters. Why, if we all stopped our drugs every other month their profits would be halved. That would be a strategic drug interruption indeed. Yes, we?re in a wonderful position of bargaining now, better than ever before. They blame us, you know, for their crappy drugs. We re not compliant enough. What kind of medicine requires 95% adherence? Stephen was 100% compliant. Stephen is dead. There has to be a way to make all these bastards work for our money, harder and faster. There are two types of doctors that we go to: One is the self- proclaimed expert who is on the payroll of the drug companies, who does studies for them, who talks for them, who goes on vacations with them. They don?t talk to other doctors, or listen to us. Because of Managed Care, if you?re not on a drug they don?t make any money. You can only make money by being a bad doctor. The other type of doctor is the kind who doesn?t see many HIV patients? Do you go to one of these doctors? Of course you do. There aren?t any other kind. Like most of our best activists most doctors have been co-opted by the drug companies. I guarantee that 95% of you go to a doctor who pimps for a drug company. And the more hard-up doctors are becoming on Managed Care, the more they sign up for a drug company assignment. What does it take for us to learn once and for all that we mustn?t be co-opted, that we only fool ourselves when we think having so many of our people on the inside will save Stephen. You people on HAART, for whom HAART is working now and who get angry when anyone says anything against HAART: you?re being selfish, thinking only of yourself. You feel okay now. You?re not going to for long. Stephen was one of the first to take every drug you now are taking. How long do you think you have? Dr. Ho has disappeared into the miasma of never-never land and Dr. Fauci says taking these drugs is ?not an option.? How good and clean and wonderful can you feel? ...I challenge each and every one of you to form a group of your own and pick things you can accomplish to ruin a pharmaceutical?s day. The drug companies are our main target. They are rich beyond belief. This is the only country in the entire world where drug companies are free to charge what they want. Scare the shit out of them. Scare their stockholders to death. For every slimy pill of shit they pump out for us to pump in....Find the things you can do exceptionally well and that will drive people crazy and do them. Stop going to all those meetings with the FDA and the NIH and the CDC, and Abbott and Glaxo and fucking Dupont. That is conspiring with your murderer. Form a cell, like the Mafia, like the Irgun, the French Resistance, and keep them small and secret and only tell the people in your cell what each of them needs to know to do a specific job. Thus if one person or cell goes too far we are able to deny knowing anything about it. There is only so much that can be said about this publicly. I have given you a blueprint. A road map. Plan your own route. I think you get the general idea. I hope this plan pleases Stephen and that he will no longer think that I, and you, have walked away from him. He is watching us, you know. ? <BR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_jamesjwhiteheadUK
September 7th, 2004, 09:46 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV>Dear Robin,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>My God it was nice to hear someone else foul mouthing Sustiva.&nbsp; I was on that a couple of years ago and I have to say without any doubt it is the worst drug I have ever experienced. I felt dead and I wanted to be dead. I have never experienced anything that bad before. Interestingly I have met alot of people on Sustiva who also feel suicidal. Some people start telling you that they are loosing it, or going mad, often you would find they where on sustiva . I have a very dear friend of mine(65 and one of the nicest people I have ever met)&nbsp;&nbsp;He s on it and he says he feels like killing himself on it. He visits me for Sunday lunch and now I can walk him back home, but after he takes the Sustivia, he feels really ill and looses his balance, he gets dizzy. I get quite worried about him because he is a great friend.I told&nbsp;him I&nbsp;had been on it and experienced the same thing but much worse I think and hope and I pray he does not feel as bad as I did when&nbsp;I took it. I cant say much to him, because in London I just keep my mouth shut. The reason being is that I have been told to shut up loads of times before like with AZT, then hit hard hit early Strategy&nbsp;and &nbsp;everyone who disagreed got told to shut up or censored. ( There was even back to work schemes sponsored by the Government and the drug companies, but&nbsp;to get a place you had to be on the drugs ????)&nbsp; The News papers said go out get tested and if "positive" start treatment straight away ??? The Charities and drop in centres told people that they SHOULD&nbsp;ALL be enjoying the benefits of the drugs. Theres alot of intimidation and also your putting yourself in a vulnerable position if you cause to much trouble .</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>To be honest sometimes I wish I was not in Britain.</DIV> <DIV>I would like to know how Sustivia does this ??? What is it doing in the brain ??? Why and how does it make you feel like killing yourself, how does it give you halucinations ? How does it make people have vivid dreams and nightmares that seem so very real ??How does it make you feel like the living dead ? and why does not everyone on this drug experience these problems ?? ( also i suspect the incidence of these side effects are under reported. i rememeber know i have some data on that somewhere&nbsp; i think on here.&nbsp;I will look for it. Its warning from CDC, but I think even that re revised incidence is an underestimation.&nbsp;That truly is a scary drug?? But I dont know how or why it does this ?? I have seen this alot, as well as red finger tips and red blotches on hands ? The wasting, the lipodystrophy , the lipoatrophy&nbsp;I understand. Does this drug effect ATP more than the others ? I have not had the time to look into everything. I think I need to start studying the liver.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Infact thats what I am going to be concentrating on until&nbsp;I have the problem what ever it is undercontrol. "aids" "cancer" does not scare me at all, but my liver does.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I think I need to research what happens to glutathione symphesis when your liver is ruined ? Because thats where glutathione is sythesised ??? I could strain my liver by&nbsp; taking to much NAC and things perhaps ? yet glutathione helps to repair and protect the liver and NAC does and I think you know I think glutathione levels are&nbsp; a matter of life or death&nbsp; ( Catch 22)&nbsp;. That been said I am much better, but i think all the bad blood results are having a vudu effect ? even though&nbsp;I think there looking at the wrong targets. The liver results are what&nbsp;I take seriousley.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>You really need a doctors help with these things. And your right LACK of&nbsp;access to doctors and treatments of choice and co-operation&nbsp;is whats killing people.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I think I might know a way around that catch 22 situation, but would really need a docs help with that one to start off with ( I think I will learn that one quick&nbsp;because I thinks its quite simple). I am interested in your views because your posts are interesting.&nbsp;Its to do with stopping uncontrolled opoptosis and inducing selective opoptosis but because of the liver problem or measures to bipass this problem might be nessary ?.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Maybe I should email you privatley about this.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I know the states has its problems as well but at least your vitamins are min 3 times cheaper. I think I might have to leave Britain for abit to see some docs who&nbsp;I know who will co operate with me.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hugs</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>James</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrKenA1
September 9th, 2004, 11:31 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hey James, I am probably faster to respond on the forum than email particularly this month as I have a brand new workload ahead. <BR><BR>In response to orthodox pressures to go on the drugs, my experience in Canada was that any of the "perks" the HIV+ are supposed to be getting come with being processed by the charities and hence lined up for the cocktails. The HIV=AIDS=Death link is kept firmly in place by supposedly well meaning social workers for both government and so-called community organizations. This extends right down to the activist society (and getting your free "HIV camp" getaway to get in touch with your inner feelings about the imaginary virus.) Hence your comments on the social forces pressuring one to go on HIV chemo is consistent with what I have seen. I avoid AIDS groups like the plague although I would be happy to enter a dialogue with them on a neutral stage, particularly to discuss issues of informed consent and the basic human rights they so love to trample in the name of pharmaceutical profits. Not having kept my mouth shout I really have no close gay male friends left -- I fled the city, so it is no big whoop. As for doctors I am not sure how much better Canada is. <BR><BR>I have no idea on the Sustiva but if it is producing such side effects why the hell don t people go off it -- the orthodoxy is bellowing every day about all their "live saving" combinations; surely at this point there are as many combos as there are cross reactions on the viral load and HIV test combined. Why is it necessary to take a drug whose only claim to fame seems to be that it lasts longer in the body than any other (see http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/news/reutdrugholid.htm -- this is a 2000 Reuters post notable as it reports a study showing improved CD$ and CD8!!! counts in 10 subjects who quit or were not on meds. Here I thought CD8s didn t count but in ratio in the HIV orthodox muddle. ) Is Sustiva prescribed because Dupont is padding everyone s pockets? (see http://www.virusmyth.net/aids/news/dpdeform.htm ) <BR><BR>Kramer is attacking the drug in 2000 so obviously side effects are well known at this stage. Surely no doctor or public health system is so tied to a single brand (having said that I recall the useless smallpox vaccines the US bought just as the batch was being dumped and superceded, and the totally overpriced name brand cipro Canada was forced to buy from Bayer to stock up for the anthrax attack that never came to Ottawa. Maybe there was a Sustiva sale recently?) I would like to point out to Kramer that I personally, despite my HIV diagnosis, no longer feel like shit, so maybe it is just the shitty drugs and the equally shitty community response he is feeling.<BR><BR>I agree you do need a doctor s help especially in that much of what you speak of appears the side effects of the drugs, but doctors who just monitor viral load and CD$ counts are no help -- they are basically screaming at you to get sick and die. It totally stresses me out to be faced by a doctor who on one visit tells me I look 100% better and to keep up what I am doing (reading dissident literature) and ten days later tells me I am sicker than ever and have to go on HIV chemo because my CD$ count is below baseline. I kept up what I was doing and feel much better thank you. <BR><BR>Regarding UK health, what about contacting someone like Gordon Stewart to see if he has references for more holistic and scientifically grounded care? Alternatively what is happening in Germany or Switzerland? There seem to be many references to people treating AIDS without pharma in the lit from German speakers.<BR><BR>Definitely look into the liver and remember that smoking is a strain on the liver. Damage done while on cocktails will take time to heal as you detox. There is no question about the damage these cocktails do to the liver. Also morphine is damaging and you need to heal from that. Quitting smoking would be a good thing to unload off your system -- I have to become a former smoker myself.<BR><BR>FYI Pharmaceutical Grade N-Acetyl-Cysteine -- HPLC Tested 500 mg/180 capsules (distributed from West LA) is running at $30 Canadian at my local health store. Not sure how that compares. But frankly I have to make food my longterm medicine as I can t afford most supplement costs. Speaking of which eat artichokes and other veggies from the same family -- related to milk thistle. They have the same nutritional benefits to the liver. Check out what has been studied on milk thistle -- seems to me you got yelled at for taking it once, but even my ex-MD from the UK admitted German doctors use it to great success. It was the one supplement he encouraged me to continue taking -- although he was not an HIV doc at first, but rather one of those Kramer refers to who knew nothing but who had bought a gay doc s practise. Unfortunately by the time I left his practise, he was obviously much better versed in the pay-offs of pharmaceuticals.<BR><BR>Cheers, Robin</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>