PDA

View Full Version : ACT-UP/SF 'AIDS Terrorism' Case Settled (ame-a62)

msn_DissidentSaint
August 31st, 2003, 02:21 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV> <DIV align=left><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>Hey All,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>I just spoke to Michael Bellefountaine of ACT-UP/SF this week and they will be having their usual Monday night meeting, even though it s Labor Day Weekend. He said their regular Monday night meetings are averaging about 30 persons and this Monday, Sept. 1, 2003 they will have a very important discussion re: ACT-UP/SF s response to the recent plea agreement between David Pasquarelli [of ACT-UP/SF] and Michael Petrellis [of AIDS Accountability Project]&nbsp;with the San Francisco District Attorney s office in which they pleaded "no contest" to a few misdemeaners having to do with phone harassment for setting up the phone zap on certain public health officials, researchers, and&nbsp;journalists-- a tactic used by earlier AIDS Apologist activists, including ACT-UP groups and accepted by many mainstream AIDS Industry folk,&nbsp;but now condemned&nbsp;when used by&nbsp;AIDS Dissident activists.&nbsp;David and&nbsp;Michael&nbsp;were sounding an alarm that false HIV statistics and threats of quarantining HIV positives were being used to terrorize gay men in particular. After having been originally charged&nbsp;with&nbsp;some 25&nbsp;felony counts, it clearly is an embarassment to the SF DA s office&nbsp;in&nbsp;the overcharging of these&nbsp;two heroic men, kept in jail for 72 days by a corrupt system through legal menuverings that endangered their lives and cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>It appears that the apology for harassing phone calls, reported as some general apology in the gay and mainstream press earlier this month, was not actually part of the plea in court and restraining orders for David and Michael to stay away from the ACT-UP/SF building near&nbsp; AIDS Apologist organizations, are null and void, though there exists restraining orders against most other members of ACT-UP/SF. </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=1><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066>I told Michael Bellefountaine of&nbsp;ACT-UP/SF this week that we missed their strong voices as they had inspired us to do more, though understanding the extreme pressure they have been under. They had to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars in bail, setting up a non-violent resistance defense fund, eventually winning David and Michael s release last year. [You can see two pictures I posted on this forum on page 3&nbsp;about this time last&nbsp;year </FONT><A target=_top href="http://groups.msn.com/aidsmythexposed/shoebox.msnw?Page=3"><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066>http://groups.msn.com/aidsmythexposed/shoebox.msnw?Page=3</FONT></A><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066>]&nbsp;And also were the defendants in a $500, 000 lawsuit which they successfully fended off. There is also the potential of individual lawsuits by David and Michael P. </FONT></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>Michael B. did say they felt&nbsp;a lack of support from the AIDS Dissident community such as it is, including the criticism of well known AIDS Dissidents, whom, he said, did not ask for their side of the story before jumping to conclusions. There were never any bomb threats for example and those were not&nbsp;even in the formal&nbsp;charges as one example. I think it would be&nbsp;an&nbsp;appropriate time to express your thanks and well wishes by e-mail or phone at this time.&nbsp;There were some positives, including the Exective Director of SF AIDS Foundation director s salary being cut from a exhorbitant 200K per year.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>David Pasqarelli of ACT-UP/SF, an&nbsp;AIDS Dissident&nbsp;has continued to have health problems related to Cryptococcal Meningitis, a serious infection of hte brain,&nbsp;as well as&nbsp;having taken the opportunity for a much needed rest&nbsp;from front line AIDS Dissidence. David is not on the drug cocktails. Michael Petrellis of AIDS Accountability Project, who is not an AIDS Dissident per se in that he accepts the HIV/AIDS hypothesis, but is&nbsp;critical of&nbsp;waste and corruption within&nbsp;AIDS Industry, has also had health problems.&nbsp;Michael P. is on the drug cocktails as far as I am aware.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>While the&nbsp;AIDS Industry and AIDS Apologists who cheered their unlawful arrest&nbsp;and trumpetted their false imprisonment will try to spin this as though they were being&nbsp;magnanimous to these fearless fighters&nbsp;who were succombing to AIDS attributed illnesses like good little boys, we must tell the whole truth.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1><STRONG>ACT UP San Francisco</STRONG></FONT></DIV> <DIV><A target=_top href="http://www.actupsf.com/"><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>http://www.actupsf.com</FONT></A></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT size=4><B><FONT size=1> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066>ACT UP Demands City Reveal Cost of AIDS Dissident Prosecution</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066>Group Disproportionately Targeted by Police, District Attorney s Office; Petitions City Controller</FONT></FONT></B><B><BR></B></FONT><A target=_top href="http://www.actupsf.com/nav/gay/gay.htm"><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>http://www.actupsf.com/nav/gay/gay.htm</FONT></A><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066 size=1></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=1><BR><FONT face="Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans-serif" color=#000066>Kelly Jon Landis</FONT></FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000066></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT color=#000066></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_PaulKing
August 31st, 2003, 03:57 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Dear Kelly,<BR><BR>Thank you for the information on ActUp SF. I agree that the movement was not supportive enough of Michael. I think a large forum like this will give us the ability, in the future, to communicate better and take concerted action. We must learn to act as one fist dispite our diversity. Together we have power.<BR><BR>I was glad to hear from you as I was beginning to get worried as you have been quiet for some time. I do hope you have been well and everything is going fine in your life. I have been accussed of being you on the About Forum several times. Quite funny really.<BR><BR>I would like to talk to you about rebuilding your fantastic links section on this forum. It served a valuable purpose and is a real loss. Call me.<BR><BR>Very warmest regards.<BR><BR>Paul</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>