PDA

View Full Version : KNOWHIVAIDS.ORG (ame-g231)

msn_leolionsf
January 16th, 2003, 08:20 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>This is a follow-up to my last message concerning huge billboard ads appearing in the Castro district here in San Francisco. The scare ads state that half the people infected with HIV are women.<BR><BR>I went to their website, http//www.knowhivaids.org, and could not find any contact information. The telephone number listed, 866-344-KNOW (5669) farms out the phone calls to other groups not affiliated with KNOW.org. The one group I was able to connect with stated that they do not have control over who uses their telephone number.<BR><BR>Upon further research I found under the "Privacy Policy" link on the website that Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, VIACOM and MTV are the major players with these new ads. VIACOM s address is under:<BR><BR>"Know HIVAIDS.org Privacy Statement <BR><BR>Questions regarding this statement or our practices should be directed to our Privacy Coordinator by email at KNOWHIVAIDS@viacom.com. You may also send inquiries by mail to: <BR><BR><BR>Viacom<BR>Corporate Relations<BR>1515 Broadway<BR>New York, NY 10036"<BR><BR>And MTV s mailing address is under <BR><BR>"MISCELLANEOUS: <BR><BR>MTV Networks operates and controls this site from its offices at 1515 Broadway, New York, New York 10036. This site is intended exclusively for residents of the United States". <BR><BR>And under the Know HIVAIDS.org Terms of Service: <BR><BR>This site (the "Site") is operated by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation and MTV Networks (herein "us" or "we").<BR><BR>It is interesting to note that neither Viacom, MTV nor Henry J. Kaiser Family Foudation assumes responsibility for the information on their website. Go figure. They create a site with false and slanted information, but also share no responsibility that this site may also lead people to take toxic drugs. Hmmm.<BR><BR>I encourage people to write to the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, Viacom and MTV and share with them our displeasure of this type of misinformation and insist that they give us equal opportunity to share our information.<BR><BR>Thanks, <BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrChristopher
January 17th, 2003, 02:26 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>The Seattle Gay News is always running the latest scare/threat story of the week from Kaiser (from the Kaiser Weekly Report). The latest one was insisting that the West is essentially responsible for mass genocide because we aren t doing enough to provide AIDS drugs to places like Africa. (eyes rolling...)<BR><BR>The previous weeks report were about how we ve become complacent in the face of a global AIDS pandemic, yadda, yadda.<BR><BR>So the billboard thing in the Castro from this organization doesn t surprise me at all.<BR><BR>Chris<BR></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_aidsmythexposed-dot-com
January 17th, 2003, 03:13 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Gang:<BR><BR>I found the information on exctly who registered this domain name and who we should be contacting to express our disgust with this latest hideous campaign by the AIDS industry.<BR><BR>BTW: I got this information from the "who is" database at godaddy. Network solutions also has a "who is" database as do probably most other domain name registry companies.<BR><BR>Here it is:<BR><BR>KNOWHIVAIDS.ORG WHOIS Results<BR><BR>Registrant:<BR> MTVN Online Partner 1 LLC<BR> 1515 Broadway<BR> New York, NY 10036-5794<BR> US<BR> Domain Name: KNOWHIVAIDS.ORG<BR> Administrative Contact:<BR> Contact, MTVi-Admin mtvi-admin@mtvigroup.com<BR> 1515 Broadway<BR> Attn: Pier Borra<BR> New York, NY 10036-5794<BR> US<BR> +1 212-654-9760<BR> Fax: +1 212-654-9068<BR> Technical Contact:<BR> Contact, MTVi-Tech mtvi-tech@MTVIGROUP.COM<BR> 1515 Broadway<BR> Attn: Pier Borra<BR> New York, NY 10003<BR> US<BR> +1 212-654-9760<BR> Fax: +1 212-654-9068<BR> Billing Contact:<BR> DNS, NAMEENGINE dns@nameengine.com<BR> 401 Broadway, 26th Floor<BR> New York, NY 10013<BR> US<BR> 212 274-1960<BR> Fax: 212 656-1312<BR> Registrar of Record: NAMEENGINE, INC.<BR> Record last updated on 18-Nov-2002.<BR> Record expires on 18-Nov-2003.<BR> Record Created on 18-Nov-2002.7</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_trist
January 20th, 2003, 07:58 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Quick question, Steve...</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>I thought that in reality, half the people "infected with HIV" or rather, who test positive&nbsp;ARE&nbsp;women.&nbsp; Wasn t this true in tests in Africa, as well as tests done on young people joining the military?&nbsp; It s a blanket, vague statement meant to scare, I understand. I am not at all happy with that.&nbsp; But I think that generally, they re right,,, It s just the "Infected" part I object to.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Though I object to any advertising concerning AIDS, I am not sure this particular statement is incorrect.&nbsp; 95% of people with AIDS may be men and 85% may be drug users, but that s where this whole infectious disease theory started falling apart.&nbsp; Out of all the people who test positive for HIV, it is the men who are actually getting sick more often in the US.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Maybe I m wrong. I will still be writing to complain about the site itself.&nbsp; Thanks for the heads up.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Trist</FONT></SPAN></DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

January 20th, 2003, 09:55 PM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Good question, Trist. Apparently in the U.S. where I assume this ad campaign is targeted, both annual and cumulative so-called "HIV infection cases", as they are called by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, are still PRIMARILY MALE by a margin of more than 2-to-1, according to <a target=_top href="http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/stats/hasr1302/table6.htm">THE CDC S OWN DATA</a>.<BR><BR>As you note, a broader margin than that is observed between male and female cases of "AIDS", as <a target=_top href="http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/stats/hasr1302/table7.htm">THIS CHART FROM THE CDC</a> indicates.<BR><BR>Any other claims about "AIDS" on the rise in women are most likely based upon use of increases (which are probably small) in PERCENTAGES of female cases. <BR><BR>Rod Knoll,<BR>Founder,<BR><a target=_top href="http://www.aidsrc.org">AIDS REALITY CHECK</a></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrChristopher
January 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Good point trist. However, it s very misleading to compare numbers from say, Africa, to those here considering the different criteria for testing and diagnosis. This is one point I brought up with the HIV counselor with the HIVNET study. How do you compare numbers when the tests are non standardized (and have lower criteria for diagnosis as in Africa)? In fact, when I said that in England the WB is not generally used as a confirmatory test, so that makes our numbers and their numbers essentially apples and oranges.<BR><BR>But I certainly didn t realize that for years when I heard those big numbers. I thought, gee, pos test is a pos test and didn t think about it.<BR><BR>The whole thing is a big mess :-)<BR><BR>Chris</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_trist
January 21st, 2003, 07:02 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN>Right.&nbsp; However, gay men are more likely to test anyway right?&nbsp; Testing is marketed more toward gay men and toward drug users, who are more often, men.&nbsp; Is the CDC going by ratios? Or is it just a straight number to number?&nbsp; For instance...&nbsp; 200 women tested positive at X clinic and 400 men tested positive.&nbsp; Just because more men are likely to take the test in the first place, does not mean that more men test positive than women, when sampled evenly.&nbsp; When they tested army recruits, more men tested positive because there were more men testing.&nbsp; However, when the ratios were examined, the male/female percentages turned out equal.</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN>I m still thinking that if a fair and even sample were taken of healthy&nbsp;men and women in the US, it would end up 50/50.&nbsp; Can you give me the link to these numbers from the CDC?</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN>Thanks!</SPAN></FONT></DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN>Trist</SPAN></FONT></DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_trist
January 21st, 2003, 07:10 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Sorry, didn t see the link.&nbsp; Never mind.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Trist</FONT></SPAN></DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_trist
January 21st, 2003, 07:17 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><DIV><SPAN>&lt;&lt;</SPAN>However, it s very misleading to compare numbers from say, Africa, to those here considering the different criteria for testing and diagnosis.<SPAN>&gt;&gt;</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>It s not misleading to compare at all... as long as you know what you re looking at. &nbsp;Besides, I was talking about actual HIV Elisa tests as compared to a cold for a couple of weeks.&nbsp; I think it is incredibly important to compare numbers in Africa to here.&nbsp;&nbsp;The disparity of these numbers were what first made President Mbeki suspicious.&nbsp; We re all people in this big mess.&nbsp; It is important to watch what happens there as supposed to here.&nbsp; Even if definitions are different.&nbsp; Just like the whole gay men thing.&nbsp; You re angry because you re getting this BS in your gay magazine.&nbsp; But it s in the women s magazines too.&nbsp; I m sure Africa is loaded with this media madness.&nbsp; At least they re seeing more of a public dissident front than our average Joe American.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN>&lt;&lt;</SPAN>&nbsp;This is one point I brought up with the HIV counselor with the HIVNET study. How do you compare numbers when the tests are non standardized (and have lower criteria for diagnosis as in Africa)? In fact, when I said that in England the WB is not generally used as a confirmatory test, so that makes our numbers and their numbers essentially apples and oranges.<SPAN>&gt;&gt;</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>To some extent.&nbsp; However, if you can look at the results and filter out the garbage, you can still make important comparisons.</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><BR><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>&lt;&lt;</FONT></SPAN>But I certainly didn t realize that for years when I heard those big numbers. I thought, gee, pos test is a pos test and didn t think about it.<SPAN>&gt;&gt;</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>So did most of the rest of us.&nbsp; If I had known a year ago, what I know now, I never would have gotten tested and my life wouldn t be down the toilet.&nbsp; ^__^</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV><DIV><SPAN><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Trist</FONT></SPAN></DIV><DIV><BR><BR>The whole thing is a big mess :-)<BR></DIV></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_Debbie
January 22nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">In a message dated 1/21/03 12:34:51 AM Eastern Standard Time, aidsmythexposed@groups.msn.com writes:<BR><BR><BR><BLOCKQUOTE>.&nbsp; If I had known a year ago, what I know now, I <BR>never would have gotten tested and my life wouldn t be down the toilet.&nbsp; <BR>^__^<BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; That makes two of us :) Amen to that statement !!! <BR>I use to think that it was "for the best" that i know my status, so i could take care of myself better..and try to live a healthier life, but honestly, even if this is all just hogwash, the damage is done . I am happy,active &amp; healthy without meds, but i will never be the same inside .<BR>&nbsp; Debbie</FONT></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrChristopher
January 24th, 2003, 04:23 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>So I m curious Debbie what your experience was like on the meds? This is something I m always curious about, to hear peoples experience with them. <BR><BR>Chris</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_Debbie
January 24th, 2003, 09:46 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">In a message dated 1/23/03 7:28:47 PM Eastern Standard Time, aidsmythexposed@groups.msn.com writes:<BR><BR><BR><BLOCKQUOTE>So I m curious Debbie what your experience was like on the meds</BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>&nbsp; HI Christopher, my experience wasn t that bad with meds, not compared to some of the stories I have heard, I really didn t have much trouble with anything except sustiva which gave me nightmares, so I didn t take that for very long.<BR>I was on AZT until I came across this site, long before I joined the group. I saw the "poison" label and researched the drug enough to know that I didn t want to put that into my body. I still see my doc and get blood work done, Tcell is 379 viral load is 10,000. the doctor said when my tcell gets to 350 then I should go back on meds, that s what he s supposed to say, who else is going to pay for his vacation.<BR> But I feel good, I don t have any OI"s. I get tired, but I work full time and am a single Mom, I should be tired.<BR> I also didn t like taking my twice daily regimen because twice a day I was reminded of what they say I have, twice daily I felt shame &amp; had to hide when I took my meds or, felt I had to hide so my son didn t ask questions or my CO workers didn t see me.<BR> Everything in my life is subject to change without notice..lol.<BR> But for now, all is well :)<BR> Debbie</FONT></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

msn_MrChristopher
January 25th, 2003, 02:31 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hi Debbie,<BR>Thanks for sharing your info. I m sure your doc believes he is doing you a service by giving you the meds and your blood work. Have you read any of the literature on Tcell counts? Tcell counts are all over the board for all kinds of different reasons. Not to mention at different times. I had a nasty cold about 3 weeks ago. I would be interested to see what my T-cell count would have been then. Next time you visit your doc, ask him how HIV kills T-Cells. I d bet he may not know that HIV has never been shown to kill them.<BR><BR>But anyway, I would definitely suggest that you take some basic supplements like Selenium, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and N-Acytl-Cysteine. From my own personal experience and from the experience of others these are very beneficial to the body. AZT and the other meds seriously stress the bodies ability to synthesize and utilize glutathione. Both are absolutely vital for life and survival, not to mention health. The 3 supplements above have been shown over and over again to be very protective. I don t know if you are on any of them, but I would highly recommend them. You can get them over the counter at any supplement store.<BR><BR>Ok, just me being concerned. <BR><BR>Chris</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

January 27th, 2003, 01:25 AM
<TABLE ><TR><TD><FONT size=2>Hi gang!<BR><BR>I just wanted to point out once again that there is <a target=_top href="http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/5/1967?ijkey=HxeTCINtOutYs">THIS STUDY</a> which "directly demonstrate(s) that low GSH (glutathione)<BR>levels predict poor survival in otherwise indistinguishable HIV-infected subjects (i.e., patients with similar T-cell counts)." The study also suggests "that N-acetylcysteine (the pre-cursor to glutathione) administration can improve their survival".<BR><BR>Obviously, there are factors at work here which should be examined OTHER THAN T-cell counts, such as glutathione deficiency. The study DOES have its flaws, of course. It FAILS to determine the difference, if any, between the levels of anti-viral use in the patients who had the depleted levels of glutathione and those who had normal glutathione levels. The authors only required "stable (or no) antiretroviral therapy for the previous 4 months" for ALL patients enrolled in the study. In other words, until more data are presented on antiviral use in these patients, "antiretroviral therapy" could be responsible for BOTH the glutathione depletion AND the impaired survival seen in some of the patients in this study.<BR><BR>I hope this helps.<BR><BR>Rod Knoll,<BR>Founder,<BR><a target=_top href="http://www.aidsrc.org">AIDS REALITY CHECK</a></FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>